Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: don henley "the heart of the matter" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 August 2006 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

pat

the cassingle issued as geffen 19898 contains the "edit/remix" version and runs 3:57........this version is mislabelled on the promo cd as the "ac edit"...this should be noted in the db....

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 August 2006 at 12:51am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Thanks, Ed! I was just about to ask a question about that.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 August 2006 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote torcan

If this is answered elsewhere please forgive me, but I'm quite surprised that Geffen used the shorter version of this song on the cassingle, because they were in the habit of using the full "LP versions" on 45s at that time. "The End of the Innocence" and "The Last Worthless Evening" both the the full versions on the 45s.

There was no 45 for this song, but my question is what was used on the cassingles for "...Innocence" and "...Evening"? Was it the full versions, or edited versions?
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 August 2006 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the cassingle of "the last worthless evening" used the full lp version running 6:05.....i don't have "the end of the innocence" on cassingle just 45 and they use the 5:14 full cd/lp version there as well......edtop40

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I used to own a copy of "The End of the Innocence" on cassette single and it too contained the full CD/LP version. I'm pretty certain there was never an edit of this song issued in any form.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 July 2010 at 9:56pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

edtop40 wrote:
the cassingle issued as geffen 19898 contains the "edit/remix" version and runs 3:57........this version is mislabelled on the promo cd as the "ac edit"...this should be noted in the db....

Actually, I think the cassingle might be the one that is mislabeled. I just listened to the "AC Edit" on the promo CD (which you claim is the "Edit/Remix" on the cassingle), and it is an edit of the LP version. There is nothing remixed that I can tell. By contrast, the "Edit/Remix" on the promo CD (which I think is labeled correctly) is not the same mix as the LP version.

It's easy to tell the difference between the two, because the promo CD's "Edit/Remix" starts with drums and keyboards in addition to the guitar. The "AC Edit" on the promo CD just starts with guitar strums.

Does anyone recall which version was played by top 40 radio when the song was a hit?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 July 2010 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

The true Edit/Remix got the airplay on our CHR/Top-40 outlet (Albany/Schenectady/Troy).
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 July 2010 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks, Andrew. I don't remember hearing this song too much on CHR in my area, so I really don't know what was played.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Most CHR stations that I know played the edit/remix. The added snare drum gave the song more "punch". I don't think there was ever a full length version with the remix, it was made to get more CHR play.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 February 2012 at 2:07am | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Anybody know if there any commercial releases of the "edit/remix" that was played on CHR radio? I have the album and could likely edit it down to the AC edit, but I didn't see any listings in the database for the CHR remix.

I would expect that to be the commercial single release... but I take it, it wasn't?

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 February 2012 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Actually, I was never able to source a stock copy of the CHR version. For use at home, I remixed my own version to simulate it from memory. I would love to upload it to see how close I came, since I haven't heard the real one since 1990.

Any takers? Send me an email at jodythornton@gmail.com.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Plastic Steel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 July 2018 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote Plastic Steel

I could use some clarification on this song. (The more I know, the less I understand.) I'm inferring from the above that:

(1) The version on the cassette single is a straight edit of the LP/CD version, and

(2) This cassette single edit is labeled "Edit/Remix," however it is identical to the "AC Edit" on the radio promo CD, and

(3) The radio promo CD's "Edit/Remix" is actually an edit AND a remix which sweetens the song for airplay.

With that (hopefully) established, I'm trying to edit down the LP/CD version into the cassingle version from memory and not having much luck. I know I need to remove the "I'm learning to live without your love" sections before both choruses, but I'm thinking the final (3rd) chorus has another edit in there and probably an early fade. I hate to put out an APB on this, but does anyone have the edits for this song? I haven't been able to hunt down this promo or cassingle anywhere.
Back to Top View Plastic Steel's Profile Search for other posts by Plastic Steel

radiofan16
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote radiofan16

Plastic Steel wrote:
I could use some clarification on this song. (The more
I know, the less I understand.) I'm inferring from the above that:

(1) The version on the cassette single is a straight edit of the LP/CD version,
and

(2) This cassette single edit is labeled "Edit/Remix," however it is identical to
the "AC Edit" on the radio promo CD, and

(3) The radio promo CD's "Edit/Remix" is actually an edit AND a remix which
sweetens the song for airplay.

With that (hopefully) established, I'm trying to edit down the LP/CD version
into the cassingle version from memory and not having much luck. I know I
need to remove the "I'm learning to live without your love" sections before both
choruses, but I'm thinking the final (3rd) chorus has another edit in there and
probably an early fade. I hate to put out an APB on this, but does anyone have
the edits for this song? I haven't been able to hunt down this promo or
cassingle anywhere.

The two pre-choruses run :20 apiece, bringing the song down to 4:45. The
rest is just an early fade. The third chorus is kept as is.
Back to Top View radiofan16's Profile Search for other posts by radiofan16

Plastic Steel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote Plastic Steel

Ah, excellent, radiofan16. MUCH appreciated.
Back to Top View Plastic Steel's Profile Search for other posts by Plastic Steel

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just put the LP version (track 2 from promo CD) and the AC Edit (track 3 from promo CD) in the multi-tracker. There are FIVE edits and no early fade. I do not have the cassette single, so I have no idea if it matches the AC Edit. According to Ed, it does. Here are the parts that are edited out:

1. 0:11 to 0:22 (edit is just slightly before the downbeat; they use a very quick crossfade to smooth out the edit)
2. 0:54.7 to 1:16.5 (pre-chorus; edit is on the downbeat)
3. 1:40.1 to 1:46.1 (one of the two guitar loops; edit is on the last strum before the drums come in)
4. 2:32.7 to 2:54.1 (pre-chorus; edit is on the downbeat)
5. 4:24.4 to 4:46.2 (edit is on the downbeat of the word "you"; electric guitar note over the word "you" before the fade is present)

Edited by aaronk on 11 July 2018 at 6:59pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Also, here are the details of the promo CD single:

PRO-CD-3955
1. Edit/Remix (listed & actual 3:52)
2. LP Version (listed 5:21; actual 5:22)
3. AC Edit (listed 3:58; actual 3:59)

Plastic Steel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote Plastic Steel

Ah, this is what I remember. Thanks, aaronk, for...well...getting down to the heart of the matter. I hereby take back every bad thing I ever said about Dallas.

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2018 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Does anyone have a low-fi version of the Edit/Remix (the one that was snazzed up for airplay?) I just want to hear the mix differences.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 14 July 2018 at 10:56pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I sent it to your gmail, Jody.

Edited by aaronk on 14 July 2018 at 10:57pm

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 July 2018 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Oh sorry Aaron, that is now defunct. I'm now at (removed). My bad.

EDIT!!!! (three days later)

I just had a poor fella from here email me saying "I'm PopArchivist". Well my early morning brain misread that and thought he was saying "I'm a Pop Archivist", and thus not identifying himself as from this board (I know, I know - he was saying his username, but that didn't register with me). So I asked him to tell me where he got my email address. He repeated that he's "PopArchivist" (but you can imagine me misreading that still. I was basically trying to figure out what board he saw me on.

It finally clicked, and I apologized, but I think he's a tad pissed with me. Sorry PopArchivist. I think from now on, I'll PM the person I want, and if you like to message me too, please PM me, and I'll send an email address. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting an email from someone I didn't know, that was all.

I kinda feel bad now ...lol

Edited by Jody Thornton on 18 July 2018 at 6:14am

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version