Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Aerosmith - Dream On Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 August 2006 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm just reviewing the (3:25) 1973 version of "Dream On" by Aerosmith. Not only is it edited, but it is also a different mix from the version that appears on Greatest Hits. Here's the comment listed in the database:

1976 DREAM ON when this commercial 45 was originally released in 1973, the length was edited to (3:25) and remixed but it was rereleased in 1976 with the full length time of (4:26); the 1976 dj copies ran (3:25) and (4:28)

To me, this indicates that the full length version issued in 1976 was also remixed, unless I'm reading into it wrong. If that is the case, are there some (4:26) versions that are remixed and some that are not?

Does the mix contained on Pop Music: The Modern Era 1976-1999 match the mix on the 45 or the mix on Greatest Hits? Here are some of the noticeable differences in the short 45 vs GH versions:

- Beginning of 45 is much softer than GH version

- Guitars are mixed louder on the GH version

- The 45 mix has a "wispy" sort of background "aaaaah" that is very thin sounding and echoey in several places. It's during the chorus and fades out as Steven sings the word "away" before the second verse. This background vocal/effect is not present on the GH version at all.

- At (1:57) on the 45 and (2:59) on the GH version, the guitar riff pans on the 45 but not on the GH. Immediately following is the line "dream on (x3) / dream until your dream comes true" followed by another guitar riff. On this riff, the 45 has a lot of reverb added to the guitar (not to mention it's more centered), while it is dry on the GH version (and only in the right channel).

Does anyone know if this 45 mix exists on CD? I'm skeptical that the Sony CD has it correct, since so many other mistakes have been discovered on these discs (and box set).
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 August 2006 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Aaron, the "Pop Music: The Modern Era 1976-1979" cd does indeed have the (3:25) remix you are inquiring about.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 January 2008 at 11:42pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

My 1976 commercial 45 has a listed time of (4:28), but an actual time of (4:23).
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

vanmeter
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 January 2008 at 3:52am | IP Logged Quote vanmeter

I listened to a friend's promo 45 of the 1976 release which had long/short on it, and the long version is just the standard LP mix, which was disappionting as I like the edited mix on the other side better. The edits aren't that great!
Back to Top View vanmeter's Profile Search for other posts by vanmeter

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 January 2008 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

To me, there's just one bad edit -- at the end of Chorus 1. It starts in one word and continues in another, much like the choppy edit on Steve Winwood's "While You See a Chance". That said, when I heard both songs on the radio as a kid (and the edited versions were played), I never noticed the edits! This was partially due to the fact I had never heard the album versions back then. I, too, like the mix on the short version of "Dream On" better. And btw, I lived outside Boston at the time, where this was a #1 hit in 1973 ... so the actual 45 I bought was this edit/remix.

Edited by EdisonLite on 22 January 2008 at 10:46am
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2009 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Regarding "Dream On", the database currently states that "the 1976 dj copies ran (3:25) and (4:28)". I inquired with my good friend Jim about the actual DJ 45 run times and he reports his promo copy has actual run times of 3:23 (the printed record label time is 3:25) and 4:23, not 4:28 as stated on the record label. This info should probably be noted in the database.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Steve Carras
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2015 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote Steve Carras

I'll also add another important thing, the re-arranging of one of the choruses in such a way that it came between the first two verses or verse one and three... and there is a longer intro, the first two verses, the bridge "where it comes, where it goes, nobody know", then another verse, then the chorus, slightly longer intro break, then chorus, then different repeated bridge where we hear the title, then chorus repeat, on the familiar 4-1/2 min.version, all with solo vocal.

The SINGLE version, played and released both in 1973 and 1976, has THIS structure: much shorter intro, first verse
then chorus with girls's choral backup (nice going, S.Tyler!) then second or third verse, then intro, very short intro, the title-bridge, then the chorus repeat.
Single is 1 minute shorter than LP. (3:35 vs 4:28).

I ALSO in a way prefer that version MYSELF!

It's on YouTube...there are arguments there on one channel's uploading in entry box, whether it is a remix/edit (including the job of re-arranging the verse and chorus) and dubbing of distaff choir or a whole different version (familiar query, huh?). ;)

Edited by Steve Carras on 14 April 2015 at 9:31pm

Steve Carras
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 April 2015 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote Steve Carras

Pat Downey, on behalf of Aaron and everyone and myself, thank you for the info on the 3:25 single of Dream on.

:)

Steve Carras
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 April 2015 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote Steve Carras

BTW It's Pop Music: The Modern Era 1976-1999, not 1979..it's still available on Amazon! I got my download and it's on my playlist.! :D

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2015 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Sony's 2-CD Pop Music The Modern Era 1976-1999 (1999) is pretty nice, and is dirt cheap nowadays. It has the 45 versions of "Dream On", "Play That Funky Music" (the proper 45 edit), "Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)", and "Rockit".

It sounds like they found some really good source tapes for most of the tracks. Volume levels and dynamic range vary from track-to-track - some are fabulous, some are maximized.

Overall, a VERY worthy purchase.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2015 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

crapfromthepast wrote:
Sony's 2-CD Pop Music The Modern
Era 1976-1999
(1999) is pretty nice, and is dirt cheap
nowadays.

I guess!! Amazon shows 8 vendors offering this set for $2 or
less (including one for a penny).
Does this have the single version of "Two Tickets To
Paradise"?
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2015 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Steve, no it doesn't. As I recall, there is only 1 CD
with the true 45 version. "Playlist: The Very Best of
Eddie Money."
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 April 2015 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Indeed - I was hoping for the 45 version of Eddie Money, which would have fit in perfectly, but no.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 23 April 2015 at 7:01am

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 September 2016 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

So, let me get this straight...

There are just two versions of the song:

"Long version"
  • Printed 4:28
  • Actual 4:23
  • LP version
  • 1976 45 version
  • Readily available on lots of Aerosmith collections
"Short Version"
  • Printed 3:25
  • Actual 3:23
  • 1973 45 version
  • 1976 promo 45 version
  • Remixed so that can't be edited down from LP version
  • Available on two Sony compilations released in 1999
Is this correct?

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 September 2016 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

crapfromthepast wrote:
So, let me get this straight...

There are just two versions of the song:

"Long version"
  • Printed 4:28
  • Actual
    4:23
  • LP version
  • 1976 45 version

• Readily available on lots of Aerosmith
    collections
"Short Version"
  • Printed
    3:25
  • Actual 3:23
  • 1973 45 version

• 1976 promo 45 version
  • Remixed so that can't
    be edited down from LP version
  • Available on two
    Sony compilations released in 1999
Is this
correct?

Correct!

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2018 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

EdisonLite wrote:
To me, there's just one bad edit -- at the end of Chorus 1. It starts in one word and continues in another, much like the choppy edit on Steve Winwood's "While You See a Chance". That said, when I heard both songs on the radio as a kid (and the edited versions were played), I never noticed the edits! This was partially due to the fact I had never heard the album versions back then. I, too, like the mix on the short version of "Dream On" better. And btw, I lived outside Boston at the time, where this was a #1 hit in 1973 ... so the actual 45 I bought was this edit/remix.

Actually I'd say three of the edits are pretty poor. The first edit that would've excised from :12 to :37 is really cludgy. It sounds like you hear the beginning of the downbeat from the edit out point, before the pick up point. So you get a doubled up bass strum.

Going from the first chorus (which I realize was placed in there) to the pickup point on the LP version at 1:26 (boy is that jarring). Given that no time was saved, it makes me wonder why they didn't just leave what's in there originally, I get they probably wanted to familiarize the audience with that strong chorus, especially given that the last instance of the chorus is nixed out at the end.

Which brings us to the edit from 2:19 to 2:58 - yikes. I just pulled out my Greatest Hits LP and tried replicating the edit, but instead I took the last past of the third chorus and joined it with the second. So my edit is from the downbeat at 2:10, and the pick up point is at 2:49. The edit sounds great - WHY ON EARTH DID THEY NOT JUST DO THAT ???

I also wonder if the track is actually remixed or if the EQ was altered at some point. The guitar track after "comes true" sound like the midrange was boosted with echo applied. I suppose I wondered about that, because remixing would mean you had access to the multi-track tape, which mean much better editing should have been possible.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2018 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

Just tried an alternate to the replacement of the first chorus. I grabbed from 2:04 through to 2:34, and used that to replace what was formerly between 1:14 and 1:39. It really works well.

Again, I can't for the life of me why they wouldn't have that instead. These were within the realm of analog tape editing
(head shaking)

Anyone who wants to hear what I came up with can message me.
:)

Edited by Jody Thornton on 29 January 2018 at 7:50am

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 January 2018 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Regarding the remixing, Jody, it seems they probably remixed the entire song and then decided to edit it. Somewhere in the vaults likely sits the full, unedited remix.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Tom Daly
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 March 2018 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote Tom Daly

CBS was always remixing and editing singles once Clive Davis replaced Mitch Miller as the head of A&R at Columbia. Epic wasn't as aggressive about edits as Columbia. "Dream On" was up there in 1973, but notable priors are Big Brother & the Holding Company's "Piece of My Heart" and It's a Beautiful Day's "White Bird." The latter cannot be re-created from the album mix, but the former can, although both singles were mono only.
Back to Top View Tom Daly's Profile Search for other posts by Tom Daly

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

EdisonLite wrote:
To me, there's just one bad edit

@EdisonLite
I attempted respond to your PM, but your Inbox is too full.
Sorry for the late reply. So I'm linking the files here from Yandex Disk. I have created a DropBox account for you, and placed the files up there as requested. Again though, I have no way of sending you a PM, since your mailbox is full.

So there are three versions:

My Original Edit

My Improved Edit (with a shorter more precise bridge between the verses)

Similar to the Improved Edit
(but with a dryer EQ and "echo" effects on the guitar solos at the end, thereby mimicking the single remix ....lol - I tried)

Edited by Jody Thornton on 21 March 2018 at 2:48am

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version