Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: CD mastering flaws/glitches Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 January 2009 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Aaron, my commercial 45 has no dropout at all between :04 and :05.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2009 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Guys, I remember that my commercial 45 does have the dropout between :04 and :05, just like the lone CD. It's strange that Yah Shure's doesn't have a dropout. Yah shure, just to make sure we're on the same page, are you talking about the original "Stir It Up" 45 that was released before "I Can See Clearly Now" or the 45 that was released AFTER "I Can See Clearly Now", which was a remix (whereas the original 45 was NOT a remix)! Just want to make sure your 45 is the one with that percussive sound throughout the whole song.

And btw, the intros are so different that you can't take the non-defective intro from the album mix (or 45 #1 mix) and plug that spot into 45 #2 mix.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2009 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Gordon, I don't own a copy of the first issue 45 (Epic 10873). I have both a commercial (matrix # ZSS-157514-1E, purchased 2/73) and stereo/stereo promo copy (same matrix #s, 1E and 1F) of the '73 release on Epic 10949. I also have a Memory Lane reissue 45. All three are the remix, and none have a dropout between :04 and :05. None have that extra bongo percussion in either the left channel (on the Rock Artifacts Volume 2 CD) or the right channel (on the Queens Logic soundtrack CD.)

Neither the wav form nor my ears detect any dropout. Is it pretty obvious on the Sounds Of The Seventies - 1973: Take Two CD and your 45?

Edited by Yah Shure on 29 January 2009 at 1:33pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2009 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

It's very obvious on the "1973: Take Two" CD and the 45! Listen on headphones and you'll notice it even more. But what I don't get about your comment:

<All three are the remix, and none ...have that extra bongo percussion "

The remix DOES have the extra bongo percussion. It's the version without the extra bongo percussion that doesn't have any dropouts between :04 and :05.

Are you saying there's a 3rd mix, and that's the one you have on all these sources?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2009 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Gordon, I'll send you a dub of my commercial 45.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Edward Bear - Close Your Eyes: There is a noticeable buzzing sound during the intro on the Delilah - Love Someone various artist CD (Sony Music Special Products 34171).
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Tim Lyman
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 12:09am | IP Logged Quote Tim Lyman

EdisonLite wrote:
Tim Lyman writes:

<I have three CDs with the 45 edit of "Dance With Me" by Orleans. On both Super Hits of the '70s: Have a Nice Day Vol. 17 (Rhino R2 71197) and Only Love 1975 - 1979 (JCI JCD-3146), there is some kind of distortion present on the right stereo channel for the duration of the song. This distortion is more noticeable when listening to the song through headphones. On Dance With Me: The Best of Orleans (Rhino R2 72848), this distortion is not present.>

I'm listening to the Rhino version on headphones and don't hear any distortion. Can you elaborate on what you hear? Maybe some CDs have it and some don't. (I bought this when it first came out). I also looked at the WAV file and there are no places where it peaked out.

I’m bumping this topic because I’ve only visited this board sporadically over the past few years (and, unfortunately, had no choice but to let my subscription to Pat's database expire). I only just now saw this question because I searched specifically for this thread to see if there were any recent CDs to avoid. My sincere apologies to EdisonLite. I wasn’t ignoring you. Really, I wasn’t.

Anyway, “distorted” might be a poor description of what I’m hearing, since it sounds very much like analog tape flutter. Strange, then, that this problem is confined to the right stereo channel.   All I know is that, the first time I listened with headphones to “Dance with Me” on “Have A Nice Day: Super Hits of The ‘70s Volume 17,” I knew something was wrong. When I turned up the volume and turned my balance knob all the way to the right, I thought, “Wow. What happened here?” I don’t have a copy of the 45 for comparison, but I did finally hear a “clean” 45 version several years later, on Rhino’s “Dance with Me: The Best of Orleans.”

I guess Pat never heard what I’m hearing, either, since I brought this problem to his attention over ten years ago via snail-mail (before I had a computer.) I just hope someone else hears this right-channel “flutter,“ and can tell me I’m not crazy.
Back to Top View Tim Lyman's Profile Search for other posts by Tim Lyman

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 6:09am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

you are NOT crazy, Tim. I just headphoned (is that a word?) the 45 edit of
the song, and I too notice the distortion now that you mention it.

I am more accustomed to listening to the LP (unedited) version from the
Rhino Best Of, which to my ears, does not have the distortion.

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

Todd Ireland wrote:
davidclark wrote:
I dug out my
original 45 of Le Freak (after having moved residence),
and as I thought, it does not slow down. I remember
first hearing the slow-down on that Priority disc and
thinking it wasn't right.

Hmmm... I wonder if you and SomeCallMeTim might have
different pressings of the 45?

He must. I bought my 45 in December when the song was
riding up the charts, and there is no slowdown. Right
now, i'm even wondering if his was a domestic Atlantic
pressing at all. Even if you go to iTunes or Rhino, the
version of the song available for download is correct,
and matches my 45 exactly, right down to the fade. No
slowdown!

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 December 2010 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote KentT

Re: Le Freak. One pressing doesn't have the slowdown part. Most likely a sticky splice transferred on an Ampex ATR 102. They didn't cope well with glitchy splices. All other pressings I have encountered have the glitch. Both variants I have only seen with Atlantic Studios/DK (Dennis King) mastering. Another Tip: Huey Lewis & The News/Sports. The remastered edition which is current was mastered by Bob Norberg and noise reduction city. Get the original mastering CD which should still be easy to find and cheap used. Or get the superb LP. Both are far superior sounding.

Edited by KentT on 08 December 2010 at 7:41am

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 December 2010 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

KentT wrote:
Re: Le Freak. One pressing doesn't have the slowdown part. Most likely a sticky splice transferred on an Ampex ATR 102. They didn't cope well with glitchy splices.

Kent - FYI - Big thread on Le Freak is here. I picked up the Atlantic "Golden Age Of Black Music 1977-1988" after I'd written up that post, and that CD doesn't have any tape drag and has the sonics of the original 45, but runs longer than the 45, out to about 3:48.

My college station had a 2-track Ampex ATR. A magnificent machine - no capstan/pinch roller on the machine at all; it ran entirely based on servos on the two reels. I can see how it would freak out (no pun intended) on a bad/sticky splice.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 December 2010 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

crapfromthepast,

Ironic thing is that I am a broadcast engineer of 37 years service. And also DJ'ed too. Started my career at 9 years old as an assistant with a Second Class Phone ticket, got my FCC First Phone at 11. Still work in the industry now.

Tim Lyman
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 December 2010 at 8:45pm | IP Logged Quote Tim Lyman

Del Shannon's "Runaway" has tape drag for the first :02 of the song on Right Stuff 53319 "Hot Rod Rock Volume 4: Hot Rod Rebels".
Back to Top View Tim Lyman's Profile Search for other posts by Tim Lyman

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 December 2010 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

KentT wrote:
crapfromthepast,

Ironic thing is that I am a broadcast engineer of 37
years service. And also DJ'ed too. Started my career at 9
years old as an assistant with a Second Class Phone
ticket, got my FCC First Phone at 11. Still work in the
industry now.

I do not see Atlantic Records issuing a faulty recording
that has such a gross glitch as a tape slowdown right in
the middle of an international hit. And,
there was no way Chic is going to let that persist if
they knew about it. Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards
were control freaks.

If a 45 with a tape drag like that were legitimately
sold, the returns would have been tremendous, and we all
would have heard about it.

Is it possible there were counterfeit copies of that 45
out there during the disco days?

In the CD age, i'm sure someone passed around a bad tape.
Those who mastered the CD didn't pay attention, or there
was no quality control at the label.

Edited by The Hits Man on 14 December 2010 at 10:52am

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 1:16am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Teresa Brewer - A Tear Fell: I recently posted information on another thread about the Teresa Brewer A Sweet Old-Fashioned Girl CD (MCA Special Products 35811) because the disc's contents had not yet been accounted for in the database. In the process, I pointed out that the hit "A Tear Fell" contained a noticeable buzz during the fadeout, which Pat duly noted in the database.

I have the song on several other CDs and thought I'd report that the buzzing sound can also be heard during the fadeout on the following discs:

Teresa Brewer - Music! Music! Music! - Best of (Varese Sarabande 5616)
Various Artists - Fabulous Fifties Divas Sing Their Hard To Find Hits (Hit Parade Records 12301)

Meanwhile, there is buzzing sound is not heard on this CD:

Various Artists - Your Hit Parade - The Late '50s (Time-Life HPD-23)

It might be helpful for Pat or anyone else who has "A Tear Fell" on any of the other remaining database CDs to determine which ones contain the buzz during the fadeout and which ones don't.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Todd, I pulled out the two Teresa Brewer cd's that you mentioned as having a buzzing sound on the fadeout of "A Tear Fell" and even with headphones cranked all the way up I do not detect any buzzing sound. Does anyone else hear this buzing?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 December 2010 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I listened closely again to "A Tear Fell" on the two Teresa Brewer CDs through my Sony MDR-V600 headphones which are known for their terrific clarity and I'm definitely still hearing the buzzing interference during the fadeout. Pat, do you notice a difference when comparing the fadeout on the aforementioned two Teresa Brewer CDs to the Your Hit Parade - The Late '50s disc (Time-Life HPD-23)? On the latter CD, I'm unable to detect any buzzing sound during the fadeout... just loud tape hiss. If you're still not detecting anything, I guess it's possible my headphones are more sensitive to certain frequencies and therefore may be the anomaly here.

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 December 2010 at 3:59am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Todd, you're not losing your mind.... I do hear a slight difference in between the version on the Teresa Brewer - Music! Music! Music! - Best of (Varese Sarabande 5616) cd and the Various Artists - Your Hit Parade - The Late '50s (Time-Life HPD-23) cd. I don't know if buzz is the right word for it but it's a bit of background noise that seems very evident to me (and i'm not even using headphones, i'm using cheap General Electric computer speakers). When cancelling the version with the buzzing to out of phase mono, if you play back just the end, you end up hearing just the noise that is evident during the fade out.

Edited by TomDiehl1 on 16 December 2010 at 3:59am

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 December 2010 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Right, Tom... The buzz/noise I'm hearing resembles more of an "interference" sound that can emanate from an improperly grounded cable wire. To me, it's very similar to the noise heard during the fadeouts of many tracks on the B.J. Thomas Best of CD on Collectables 2924.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 February 2013 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Not so much a mastering error or glitch, but the Monsters Of Rock Platinum Edition is horribly brickwalled--to the point of having severe distortion. There are obviously many examples of discs that are overmodulated, but this one is particularly bad, and how the record label even allowed it to be released that way is a shame.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version