Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: CD mastering flaws/glitches Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 May 2008 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Todd Ireland wrote:
sriv94 wrote:
I think we can now add "Abacab" from Genesis' Turn It On Again - The Hits to the till.

What do you mean by that, Doug?

In another thread, it was discovered that the tape slips near the end of the song on this disc. It sounds kind of like when you press the pause button half way on a cassette player for a half second.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 May 2008 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Or, perhaps a crinkle in the master tape at that point.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 May 2008 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Either of those answers are plausible. The glitch, Todd, occurs at around (3:25).

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 May 2008 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

eriejwg wrote:
Or, perhaps a crinkle in the master tape at that point.

A tape crinkle would typically result a dropout, wouldn't it? The reason I figured "slip" is because it sounds like the speed/pitch drastically changes for a split second.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 May 2008 at 2:41am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Been many years since I worked with reel-to-reel tapes, but my experience was if there was a crinkle, it could result in the sound of a glitch. Or, if the tape was slightly stretched at that point, it could cause an issue.

Regardless, not familiar with the whole sound mastering process, but why would an engineer let a song go out that way? Are they on a timetable? Wouldn't they make notations that there was an problem with a song?

In radio, if we had a dub in from another station for a commercial on reel that had a problem, we'd call the station and ask for another dub.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

jrjr
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 May 2008 at 10:21am | IP Logged Quote jrjr

Beatles - Eleanor Rigby has one noticed that at about :14 seconds into the song, mceartney's vocal starts double-tracked for a split second on "el", and then just jumps to one channel??? i have heard this on the beatles "#1's" and the UK "Revolver"... mastering glitch or mixing error?
Back to Top View jrjr's Profile Search for other posts by jrjr

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 May 2008 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I've always wondered about "Eleanor Rigby," but I figured that might have been how the original stereo LP was mixed. Did this mixing error not show up until CD releases? It's also on the US version of the Revolver CD.

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 May 2008 at 1:13am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

Frankie Avalon - Venus

On the 25 All-Time Greatest Hits cd on Varese Vintage from 2002, at 2:13 into the track, what sounds like a small mastering error can be heard, i'm not really sure what to call it, a small hiccup or something, there is just a small noise right at 2:13 for a split second, i'm not sure how something like that could've gotten into the track...this was only brought to my attention recently, i've owned this cd for 3 and a half years and this was the first time i ever caught this error...

(I gave this cd a solid 5 star rating on amazon.com, had i heard this glitch at the time that would've bunked it down to 4 stars, i think... but i wouldn't change it now, as i still think it's an otherwise top notch cd).

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 May 2008 at 6:10am | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

aaronk wrote:
I've always wondered about "Eleanor Rigby," but I figured that might have been how the original stereo LP was mixed. Did this mixing error not show up until CD releases? It's also on the US version of the Revolver CD.

Yes, all US Capitol stereo LPs of the 60s and 70s have that problem.

GM
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

MCT1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 May 2008 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote MCT1

jrjr wrote:
Beatles - Eleanor Rigby has one noticed that at about :14 seconds into the song, mceartney's vocal starts double-tracked for a split second on "el", and then just jumps to one channel??? i have heard this on the beatles "#1's" and the UK "Revolver"... mastering glitch or mixing error?

I think this is a mixing error. It's my understanding that it is on the original master tape of the song made by EMI, and appears on all stereo releases of the song worldwide. The section that precedes this has double tracking, but it was supposed to be turned off before the song goes into that verse. The switch was apparently flipped a little late.

To my ears, when the double tracking re-appears around 0:32, it sounds like it's a split second late coming back in -- not as obvious of a problem as at 0:14, but still not quite right. Any time the double-tracking comes on or off in the remainder of the song, it is done much more cleanly.      
Back to Top View MCT1's Profile Search for other posts by MCT1

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 October 2008 at 1:18am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

EdisonLite wrote:
I have the original "Whitney" CD and I do not hear a bad tape or anything that resembles a bad vinyl source.

I just also listened to a copy of Whitney, and again, I'm hearing these same distortion problems. I can't tell if it's overmodulation or bad tape on just the vocal track. The music track sounds okay, though, so it would've been a problem with the multi-track tape before the mix down. On the full version, listen to the last two repeated lines "didn't we almost have it all." The quality is quite bad, IMO.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 January 2009 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Johnny Nash - Stir It Up: The hit 45 version on the Sounds Of The Seventies - 1973: Take Two CD (Time-Life SOD-14) contains a dropout in the left channel at the :04 mark.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 January 2009 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Todd:

Is there a way to repair the dropout in Audition? reason being, it's the lone CD appearance of the hit 45 version.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 January 2009 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

John:

I've taken the audio in the right channel at the precise spot where the dropout occurs and pasted it into the left channel. It works pretty well here and certainly sounds a lot better. I can e-mail you a copy of it if you wish.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 January 2009 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Tremendous tip, Todd! I did the same and it's a seamless match!

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 January 2009 at 2:08am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Really, Todd & Erie? I tried doing the same exact thing in that spot about two years ago (it's a trick I do a lot in spots like these) but it didn't seem seamless at all! The song becomes mono for about a whole second and then goes back to stereo and that sounds really weird, especially when listening on headphones! Can either of your send me an mp3 of what you did?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 January 2009 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Gordon, sent your way.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 January 2009 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

You're right, Gordon. It does go 'mono' for a second. But, as Todd mentioned, sounds better than the dropout. I may need to tweak my edit a bit.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 January 2009 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I simply copied the right channel from the 0:04.640 to the 0:04.951 marks and pasted it over those exact same points on the left channel. It masks the bad dropout and I detect no "mono effect" since the pasted section only lasts for about 0.3 seconds.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 January 2009 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Is this a problem only with the CD copy, or does the 45 have the dropout, too?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version