Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Cathy Dennis - Touch Me (All Night Long) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynsPickle
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 April 2006 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynsPickle

Just wanted to clear up that the second version of the Move To This album switched out versions of 3 songs:

Touch Me (All Night Long) switched to the "Hot Mix" or "Remix" version, not the single version

Too Many Walls is the "Radio Mix", which IS the proper single mix

Everybody Move is the "Pop Mix", not the single version, which is commonly referred to as "7" Mix".

On both versions of the album, Just Another Dream appears as in its 7" version, the US single mix.

Other countries had an alternate, shorter 7" mix of the Pettibone mix on their singles...this was also the video version.

You can find the non-US 7" of Just Another Dream along with all of the proper single versions for the Move To This and Am I The Kinda Girl albums on the 2000 compilation The Irresistable Cathy Dennis.

For some reason they used to album versions of tracks from her second album Into The Skyline, and her collaborations with D Mob (C'mon And Get My Love, That's The Way Of The World and Why) are all omitted.

Hope this helps. :)
Back to Top View MarilynsPickle's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynsPickle

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Finally! The myth comes to an end, thank you : )

Interesting that they chose the Hot Mix of "Touche Me" over the 7" mix to put on the reissued album. I don't really like it since it has that same (in my opinion horrible) T-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-Touche Me on the club mix, luckily ommitted on the 7" mix.

Regarding "Everybody Move", which do you consider the single version? I can't find a version called 7" mix on either the UK CD single or the USA promo CD.

On the UK CD single, the first track has no version mention at all, and upon playing it it's the version labeled "Pop Mix" on the US promo CD (track 2). Sounds like this is it, but you say this is not the single version.

Lead track on the US promo Cd is labeled 7" radio edit (by its structure, it's an edit of the club mix).

Is this the one?
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

MarilynsPickle
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynsPickle

Hey :)

The US promo CD is mislabeled. Tracks 1 & 2 are the opposite mixes listed meaning 7" Radio Mix is actually track 2, and Pop Mix (the edit of Everybody's Club Mix) is track 1. This was a mastering mistake, not an artwork mistake as the video and single version is 7" Radio Mix (the one beginning with "Everybody hit the floor!" acapella).

The UK singles for Move To This don't list proper names (or in some cases track times) for the single versions, but everything released as a single from the album was remixed for single release. Names for these versions can be identified on other releases.
Back to Top View MarilynsPickle's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynsPickle

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Thanks for clarifying!

BTW, my favorite of the three edits is the Hot Mix (I guess edit of Everybody's House Mix), love that bass intro.

The Pettibone mixes are great, still I do love the (Nile Rodgers) album version, too. What about you?
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2006 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

[QUOTE=elcoleccionista] Actually, the 7" Mix of "Touch Me" has been commercially released in the USA.

False alarm Pat, sorry!

Although MarilynsPickle confirmed what I mentioned about the existence of newer "Move To This" pressings with remixed versions, also noted I was wrong in that the 7" mix of "Touch Me" is not included but the Hot Mix.

So the 7" mix is yet to be reported on a US commercial release.

MarilynsPickle, any clues?

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 April 2006 at 6:12am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Are we talking a 2nd U.S. pressing of "Move to This" or an import? Are there any indications on the jacket of this cd that would indicate it is a newer pressing? There must be a different matrix number - my matrix number is 847 267-2 01% B.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

MarilynsPickle
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 April 2006 at 6:41am | IP Logged Quote MarilynsPickle

These are US releases.

The only way to tell if you have a second-master pressing is on the compact disc itself. The original CD lists track 2 as "All Night Long". The re-release with the alternate mixes titles it "Touch Me (All Night Long)". The inserts are identical and this is the only difference in the artwork as no credits were added/removed, the bar code is the same, etc.

The matrix on the original pressing is
847 267-2 01%

The Matrix on the second version is
847 267-2 03! (the exclaimation is part of it)

Remember, you're only getting the correct US single mixes of C'mon And Get My Love, Just Another Dream and Too Many Walls on this second release.

The Irresistible Cathy Dennis, which is not a US release, features Touch Me (All Night Long), Too Many Walls and Everybody Move in their correct US single versions and Just Another Dream in it's international single version/video version.

Edited by MarilynsPickle on 21 April 2006 at 6:49am

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 April 2006 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks, MarilynsPickle. You've helped me realize that my copy of the Cathy Dennis Move to This CD actually is the second pressing and thus you've saved me about $10-$11 by helping me avoid purchasing another copy to see if it has the versions I need. I also now know where to find the U.S. single version of "Touch Me (All Night Long)" on CD.

You've only been a member of this board for a few days and are already providing some valuable contributions. Welcome aboard and come visit often!

Edited by Todd Ireland on 21 April 2006 at 11:39am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2008 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

To revive an old thread...

Most of you already know all of this, but I thought I'd post what little new info I have.

I have the 7" single for "Touch Me (All Night Long)", Polydor 879466-7, released 1990. It's got:
      A: 7" Mix (printed 3:28, actual 3:28)
      B: Hot Mix (printed 4:01, actual 4:02)

The 7" Mix is the one that got all the airplay back in 1991 - I consider it to be the "hit". Both the 7" Mix and the Hot Mix are "Mixed by Shep Pettibone and Goh Hotoda", according to the 45.

The 7" Mix is available on:
  • Now 1991 (Virgin EMI PolyGram UK 27083, 1993 - the best-sounding of the bunch)
  • Mega Hits (PolyTel Canada 845 609-2, 1991)
  • The Greatest Hits Of Dance (Telstar UK tcd2616, 1992 - the worst-sounding of the bunch)
This is interesting for two reaons. First, I've noticed that the UK Now collections almost always mirror the UK single versions, so this tells me that the 7" Mix was the single in England as well as the US. Second, the PolyTel collections almost always mirror the Canadian LP versions, so it may be that the 7" Mix appears on the Canadian Move To This CD - perhaps? (I have no way to check that.)

The Hot Mix has a few additional production elements like the annoying "T-T-T-Touch Me", so the 7" Mix can't be edited down from the Hot Mix, or vice versa. The Hot Mix appears on:
  • Move To This (Polydor 847 267-2, 1990; my pressing has matrix number "847 267 2 41%")
  • Ultra Mix - Dance Hits Of The '80s And '90s (Time-Life M18517, 1999; different EQ from Move To This - samples line up but don't cancel completely)
There is an original LP version that has a completely different mix. For lack of a better term, it's more "thumpy" than the Pettibone mix, and the vocals have fewer effects on them. This was not the hit version. I have this original LP version on:
  • Hot Hits Vol. 4 - February 1991 (runs 4:09)
The interesting part to me is that the jukebox Hot Hits CDs usually use the album versions, so this must have been the album version at the time of release.

Like I said, you already know most of this - just thought I'd add to the body of knowledge out there.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 14 January 2008 at 6:53pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 September 2009 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my cassingle issued as polydor 879466 contains two tracks listed below

1-touch me (all night long) (7" mix) 3:28
2-touch me (all night long) (hot mix) 4:01

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 January 2012 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I thought I'd bump this up since commercial 45 and cassette single info for Cathy Dennis' "Touch Me (All Night Long)" (as reported by Ron and Ed) is currently missing from the database. (Both formats feature the 7" Mix and run 3:28, while the flip-side consists of the "Hot Mix".)

Edited by Todd Ireland on 12 January 2012 at 9:47pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Loveland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2013 at 10:22pm | IP Logged Quote Loveland

Todd Ireland wrote:
Pat:

I remember buying Cathy Dennis' Move to This CD on Polydor 847267 and thinking that "Touch Me (All Night Long)" was different than the version I remember hearing on the
radio. Just so we're clear, does the "hot mix" run 3:59 and appear on CDs like World of Dance - The 90's (Rebound 314520359), Ultra Mix - Dance Hits of the '80s and
'90s
(Time-Life M18517), and Ultra Mix (Time-Life R123-28)?

The song was originally called "All Night Long (Touch Me)". It appears as such on all editions of the album. On later pressings, it's listed as "Touch Me (All Night Long)". I
would say that later pressings contain the 7" Mix.

Shame that there was no commercial CD Maxi in the U.S. The Vinyl Maxi and Cassette Maxi singles contain the same mixes, most of them have never been issued on CD format. The
U.K. CD Maxi only has 3 mixes, and you can get it fairly cheap.
Back to Top View Loveland's Profile Search for other posts by Loveland

Kiefer2
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 February 2023 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote Kiefer2

New question about "Just Another Dream" for the club mix
fans. ON the 2 disc remaster The final mix on Disc 2 is
labelled as the "Alternative Bass Mix" of JAD but on the
wikipedia page it states this is an error and it plays the
"Dream Mix". The disc does play the "Dream Mix". When I
look on youtube everything listed as the "Alternative Bass
Mix" also plays "The Dream Mix"- are they the same
mixes???????
Back to Top View Kiefer2's Profile Search for other posts by Kiefer2

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 February 2023 at 7:41pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

It’s always been my working theory that the UK Alternative Bass Mix and
Alternative Bass Dub Mix were retitled the “Dream Mix” and “Dream Dub”,
respectively, in North America. Both the “Dream” vocal mix and the dub
have the same timings as their “Alternative Bass” counterparts.

Perhaps they were renamed here to avoid any implication that the term
“Alternative” referred to the style of music.
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 February 2023 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Wikipedia is full of well-intentioned but misleading notes in my experience
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2023 at 3:40am | IP Logged Quote mjb50

EternalStatic, I agree with your speculation. Here's what I have in my digital collection:

1989 Dancin' Danny D mixes:
6:45 Just Another Dream (12" Version)
3:42 Just Another Dream (Danny D 7" Edit)
9:20 Just Another Dream (Funky Love Mix)
(I am missing the "T.V. Mix" from the original UK 7"... is it the same as the 7" Edit?)

1989 Paul Simpson remixes:
4:00 Just Another Dream (7" Remix)
6:29 Just Another Dream (Dub Version aka Paul Simpson U.S. Dub)
6:25 Just Another Dream (Paul Simpson U.S. Remix)

1990 Dancin' Danny D & Shep Pettibone mixes:
4:03 Just Another Dream (7")
6:33 Just Another Dream (Club Mix aka 12" Mix)
4:19 Just Another Dream (Dub Mix aka Dub Version 7")
5:46 Just Another Dream (The Dream Dub aka Alternative Bass Dub Version)
7:33 Just Another Dream (The Dream Mix aka Alternative Bass Mix)
4:28 Just Another Dream [album version]

1990 Rockhouse remixes:
6:03 Just Another Dream (Nitelife Mix)
6:34 Just Another Dream (Sleepwalk Mix)

Edited by mjb50 on 05 February 2023 at 3:41am
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 February 2023 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

mjb50 wrote:

(I am missing the "T.V. Mix" from the original UK 7"... is it the same as the 7" Edit?)

I've never come across it, but usually a "T.V. Mix" from the UK ends up being an augmented instrumental version. Like, an instrumental with backing vocals or something.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version