Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: salt-n-pepa "none of your business" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 July 2006 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

the db states that the version on the cd "very necessary" is the lp version.........i just listened to the cassingle issued on next plateau 857776 versus the cd "very necessary" and they are identical and run 3:32......both are the dirty versions.........what is the difference between the single version and the lp version that you hear, pat?

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 July 2006 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My comment is based on the running time indicated in Joel Whitburn's Pop Annual which lists the running time as (3:17) indicating an edited version of the LP. Let's see if we can get Paul Haney to comment on where the (3:17) running time comes from.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 July 2006 at 5:22am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

pat....many, i'd say 75%, of the run times in whitburns books are wrong.......i'm reviewing the 1994 top 40's and his run times are almost all wrong.......not because of his doings, but because cassingles tend to run fast and are difficult to determine the exact point a song ends, due to the tape hiss during the fade out.........that's why i always a/b the songs to get the correct run time........i would NEVER use his referenced run times.....i always check them myself.......i think this song should have NO qualifiers because the full cd/lp version and the cassingle version are the same.....

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 July 2006 at 7:52am | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Is it possible that he referenced one of the many international singles released for the song?

The Single version on most non-US singles for "None Of Your Business" was an edited remix by Paul Oakenfold called the Perfecto Radio Mix, and it runs 3:19 (the only mix close to the 3:17 listed by Whitburn).

The Album Mix is 3:32 as edtop40 explained, and is without question the version on the US cassette single.

"None Of Your Business" is a strange release anyway. The cassingle is credited as "Heaven 'N Hell/None Of Your Business", while the CD is "None Of Your Business/Heaven 'N Hell".

I recall a similar situation with Toni Braxton from the same year with the songs "How Many Ways" and "I Belong To You".
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 July 2006 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

also...the cassingle does not have a b-side.........both sides say "a-side".......

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 August 2009 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just obtained the US promo CD single (CDP 1319), and the editing to remove the objectionable words is pretty sloppy. Here are the tracks:

1. Album Version (3:32)
2. 7" Perfecto Mix (3:20)
3. Muggs Mix (3:59)
4. Muggs Metal Mix (3:32)
5. Powerlab Instrumental (4:20)

Is this the only promo CD released? There's a copy of the "Perfecto Mix" on YouTube that has very clean sounding edits (with the source stated as the "20th Century Masters" CD). Is this, perhaps, the "Perfecto Radio Mix" from the import CD?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 August 2009 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron, in addition to the promo CD single you just acquired/detailed, we also got in a second promo CD single for this song. Although the first four tracks seem very similar to yours/my other promo CD single, maybe they actually addressed the "sloppy edits" issue on this 2nd promo. Here are the details for you:

Salt-N-Pepa-"None Of Your Business" (Clean Versions) (PRCD 6869-2)
1-7" Perfecto Mix (listed & actual 3:20)
2-Muggs Mix (listed 3:59; actual 3:58)
3-Album Version (listed & actual 3:32)
4-Muggs Metal Mix (listed & actual 3:32)

Edited by jimct on 04 August 2009 at 11:36pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 August 2009 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks for the info, Jim! I'll have to do some comparing when time permits.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just purchased and obtained a copy of the promo CD from Jim's post above. Unfortunately, the bad editing has not been corrected with this issue; they've just censored more words (such as "ho" and "bitches").

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

This one is a mess. I didn't realize there were two distinct cassette single releases for "Heaven 'N Hell"/"None Of Your Business"!

The first, catalog no. 857 578-4, lists both tracks as A-Sides.

A-Side:
Heaven 'N Hell (Remix)

A-Side:
None Of Your Business (Album Version)
Shoop (Ghetto Lab Radio Edit)

The second release, catalog no. 857 776-4, has the same cover with "Heaven" listed first, but the track listing and back design are different:

None Of Your Business Side:
None Of Your Business (Album Version)
None Of Your Business (Muggs Metal Mix)

Heaven 'N Hell Side:
Heaven 'N Hell (Remix)

The first pressing includes the uncensored Album Version of "None Of Your Business" found on the Very Necessary CD (at least the copy I had did).

Does anyone have information regarding the second version? As listed above, there are two different promotional CD releases for "None Of Your Business" with Clean edits for both the Album Version and the Muggs Metal Mix. So, it's not only a matter of figuring out if they issued the clean version on the second edition but also, if they did, WHICH clean version?

Edited by Underground Dub on 20 November 2017 at 1:51pm
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Joel Whitburn's books list the second catalog number but makes mention of the first pressing in a note below the song in the Top Pop Singles book.

From what I can tell, the Billboard Hot 100 chart used the catalog number for the first pressing from July 23, 1994 to November 12, 1994, the week it peaked at #32.

Curiously, on the next chart (November 19, 1994) "None Of Your Business" fell out of the Top 40 and Billboard switched the catalog number to that of the second pressing for the remainder of its run.

Should we then consider the "official" Top 40 single version to be what is on that first pressing?

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2017 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

I finally tracked down the second cassette single (857 776-4).

"None Of Your Business" is uncensored here as well meaning both pressings of the cassette single match the version found on the Very Necessary CD.

Bellenger1981
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote Bellenger1981

I remember my local radio station playing a version of
"None of Your Business" with new lyrics. The lyric
"never mind who's the guy that I took home ... to bone"
became "never mind who's the guy that I took home ...
alone". "Alone" replaced "to bone". I don't remember off
the top of my head any other lyric changes (there may
have been). Does anyone remember hearing this version?
Back to Top View Bellenger1981's Profile Search for other posts by Bellenger1981

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

If I had to guess, I'd say it was an in-house edit that simply re-inserted the "alone" lyric from the previous line. I've never heard a version that has alternate lyrics, and as far as I know, there are only two US promo CDs that exist for this song.

Bellenger1981
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote Bellenger1981

Aaron, thank you for the response! I appreciate it! You
are probably right. I have one of those promo CDs and
was curious if some other version was out there.
Back to Top View Bellenger1981's Profile Search for other posts by Bellenger1981

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

My pleasure! One of the two promo CDs leaves in the line "to bone." The other promo CD inserts the record needle sound effect over those lyrics.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 March 2020 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

No need to start a new thread here, but I cant seem to find Heaven 'N Hell (Remix) on any CD as this was what was played in 1994, not the album version. Seems you can only find it on cassette..unless you order the Australia CD

https://www.discogs.com/Salt-N-Pepa-Heaven-N-Hell-None-Of-Yo ur-Business/release/8424271

If I recall correctly this is the version that the radio played. Does anyone recall if I am correct?

Edited by PopArchivist on 13 March 2020 at 8:29pm

Bellenger1981
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2020 at 7:58am | IP Logged Quote Bellenger1981

I do not recall ever hearing "Heaven 'n
Hell" on the radio. Was it even promoted
to radio? The promo video received quite a
bit of MTV play though. I don't think that
I have even heard the "Remix".

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login