Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "DJ edits" still at large Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 February 2005 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Wait... on that last post, the version of "Touch It" that runs 3:56 is from a Promo Only (music service) CD. I'll have to actually pull out my Monifah single to check the time on it, as I don't have the track times listed in my computer database. I'll get back with you on this...
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 February 2005 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat Downey wrote:
Todd,

I just started entering your list of radio edits that have not appeared on cd and came across "Strike It Up" by Black Box. Joel Whitburn does indeed list the running time of this 45 as 3:06 and he lists it as being available on vinyl. I have never seen a vinyl 45 of this song but I do have the cassette single which states a running time of 3:06 for the "radio mix" but when I just timed it on my cassette player it ran 2:59. This speed differential could be just my casssette deck or the physical tape itself so I am curious as to whether the dj cd single really runs 3:06 or not.

Pat:

edtop40 would be a good person to ask about this because I'm pretty sure he has both the cassette single and the DJ CD single (I have neither). I'll e-mail him and see what he comes up with.

Edited by Moderator on 14 February 2005 at 7:36am
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 February 2005 at 12:55am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Brian W. wrote:
Okay, Todd, the edit version of "Miracle" on the Japanese CD3 runs 4:59. I haven't yet been able to verify what version was on the promo CD, or which version the 45 and cassette single were. But 5:41 would be an unusually long time for a song played on the radio. I can't imagine the promo didn't contain an edit.

I remember someone listing a cassette single for "Miracle" on eBay a while back and, after inquiring him about it, told me the song runs 5:41. Meanwhile, I've come across a website stating the "single edit" runs 5:43 on the cassette single:

http://www.classicwhitney.com/music/singles.html

I thought I had read somewhere that the promo CD runs approximately this long as well, but I can't recall or find where I read that. Like you, I suspect that a shorter edit for "Miracle" must exist for radio given the single's lengthy run time. I've been able to determine that the promo CD's catalog number is Arista ASCD-2222 and contains one track, but I'm unable to confirm if this disc contains an edit. If you find your copy, Brian, please let us know how long it runs.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 February 2005 at 2:38am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Moderator wrote:
Todd,

Regarding your post on Whitney Houston "I Will always Love You", my cd promo Arista ASCD 2490, does not have a radio edit running 3:51 but rather 2 versions of this song, one of which is the LP version running 4:30 and the other is the LP version faded :07 early so it runs 4:23. Are you sure of your catalog number on your 3:51 edit as I cannot imagine Arista issuing two different promo cd's with the same catalog number.

Believe it or not, there indeed appear to be two "I Will Always Love You" promo CDs with the same catalog number. One contains two tracks (which is probably the copy you have) and the other has just one track. You can see the one track promo disc here:

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=86839

As you visit the aforementioned website, you'll notice above the picture of the promo CD the following text: "Scarce US special holiday reissue 1-track promo CD in unique custom picture sleeve - completely different to any other ASCD-2490". I do specifically remember a commonly played radio version of "I Will Always Love You" where the a cappella intro is edited out and instead the song begins with strings fading in and Whitney Houston softly crooning. I believe this is the shortened radio version that runs approximately 3:51. Unfortunately, I can't remember off the top of my head where I got that run time (the eil.com website I listed doesn't say), but I can get back to you on that.

Moderator wrote:
Now with regards to Monifa "Touch It", is the clean radio edit running 3:44 the same as the version appearing on the cd "United States Of Dance" (UTV 314545105) as I currently list that version as running 3:44 also.

Since I don't have this promo CD, or any of the others I've listed in this thread, I can't verify the printed run time or make a determination if the radio edit currently exists on a domestic CD release. Fortunately, it looks like Aaron is on the case with this one, so hopefully he'll get back to us with more info on how long "Touch It" runs on his promo disc.

Moderator wrote:
With regard to Ralph Tresvant's "Sensitivity" are you sure that the so called "radio edit" runs 5:52 as I don't see how this could be an edit when the LP version runs 4:40. The 10th edition lists a version running 5:52 on the New Edition cd "All The Number Ones" so is that the "radio edit"?

I'm glad you brought this up because I should've been more specific here. The Ralph Tresvant "Sensitivity" promo CD is on MCA CD45-1097 and contains the following track listing and printed run times:

1. Sensitivity-Extended Version (5:52)
2. Sensitivity-Radio Edit (4:40)
3. Sensitivity-Ralph's Rap (5:00)

Given that Track 1 contains an extended version, I left open the possibility that this might be a longer version of the hit single that managed to get some radio airplay. Every once in a blue moon, record labels have been known to feature a longer version of a hit on a promo DJ single (such as Stevie Nicks' "Edge of Seventeen" and Leif Garrett's "I Was Made for Dancing") and I wondered if this might be the case with the Extended Version on the Ralph Tresvant promo CD. Since I don't have this disc, I can't conclude if the Extended Version of "Sensitivity" is a legitimate longer radio version or just a remix. Whatever the case, you are correct in that my generic use of the term "radio edit" would, by definition, not be literally accurate here!

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 February 2005 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I found a copy of the promo single for "You Can't Play With My Yo-Yo" by Yo-Yo (East West 3812). Here are the mixes:

1. Radio Edit (3:53)
2. Real Remix (5:01)
This is the version that's on the LP, Monsters Of Rap Vol. 1, and Maximum Rap; however the first four seconds (a sound effect of a needle hitting the record and some groove noise) are missing on the promo single.
3. Hip Hop Remix (4:33)

Was this song added to the newest edition of Top 40 Music On CD? My book doesn't include the song, even though it did crack the top 40.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 March 2005 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I pulled out my copy of "Touch It" and here's some info. The printed time on the insert says (3:57) for Clean Radio Edit and (4:47) for Clean Album Version. The actual run times are the same. So, I'm not sure where the versions on the compilations came from, but not from promo single 1328 on Universal.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 March 2005 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

todd, baby..............i've recently found the yo-yo promo cd single for "you can't play with my yo-yo"..........it contains...........1-radio edit (3:53), 2-real remix (5:01), 3-hip hop remix (4:33).........

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 March 2005 at 11:08pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

edtop40 wrote:
todd, baby..............i've recently found the yo-yo promo cd single for "you can't play with my yo-yo"..........it contains...........1-radio edit (3:53), 2-real remix (5:01), 3-hip hop remix (4:33).........

Awww yeah! I know you've been combing the earth with a fine-toothed comb trying to find a copy of that promo disc. Congrats, my friend!

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2005 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

aaronk wrote:
I pulled out my copy of "Touch It" and here's some info. The printed time on the insert says (3:57) for Clean Radio Edit and (4:47) for Clean Album Version. The actual run times are the same. So, I'm not sure where the versions on the compilations came from, but not from promo single 1328 on Universal.

I recently came across a commercial cassette single copy of "Touch It". The A-side is the Clean Radio Edit and runs (3:57) like the promo single.

Jimbo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 March 2005 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote Jimbo

I have a 2-disc promo for the Martin Page, one disc is the entire album, the second has an "edit" and the full album version of "In the House of Stone and Light." The running time for the edit is listed as 3:59, but it clocks in at 4:12.
Back to Top View Jimbo's Profile Search for other posts by Jimbo

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 April 2005 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Regarding the song "Touch It" by Monifah, I have obtained the dj copy and the clean radio edit does indeed run 3:56 as Aaronk recalled. By the way, this clean radio edit is not the mix that appears on the cd "United States Of Dance". So Todd where did you come up with a time of 3:44 for the dj copy of this cd single?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 April 2005 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

To be perfectly honest, I don't remember how I came up with the 3:44 run time for Monifah's "Touch It". Every promo CD copy I've researched recently contains the Clean Radio Edit (3:57) and the Clean Album Version (4:47), so I'm baffled here by my own information! It's possible that when I originally researched the radio edit run time for "Touch It", I might have referred to the 10th edition and mistakenly took the 3:44 run time listed for the "United States of Dance" disc to be the radio edit time.

By all means, if I see anything resembling a 3:44 version on a commercial or promo single, I'll be sure to let you know. But as of right now, I believe all U.S. promo copies run (3:57) and (4:47), as has been documented throughout this thread.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 August 2005 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

With regards to Skid Row's "I Remember You," I obtained a copy of the Radio Edit that Todd mentioned earlier in this post. The actual run time is (4:13), and it fades out. I also A/B'd this edit with the album version, and it is just an early fade, and not actually an edit.

(Please note that the copy I obtained is from a radio compilation disc. It is very likely that the source was the actual promo CD; however, in the early days of these compilations, it wasn't uncommon to see "re-created" edits where they didn't get it right.)

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 December 2005 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Hi Todd!

Better late than never, here's my contribution:

VANESSA WILLIAMS - DREAMIN'

I have the commercial 12" single and it lists two edits. Radio Edit With Intro
Radio Edit Without Intro

I'm at work now but if needed I can supply running times when I get home.
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 May 2006 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Our DJ insider, Jimct, was very kind to assist me with information regarding several promo DJ CD singles listed at the start of this thread that have not yet been accounted for in the database (If the printed times differs from the actual time by :03 or more, I've included that printed time in parenthesis)...

BACKSTREET BOYS - I'LL NEVER BREAK YOUR HEART (JDJ-42528-2)
1) Radio Edit - 4:23
2) LP Version - 4:46
3) Spanglish Version (Nunca Ti Hare Llorar) - 4:38 (printed time: 4:35)
4) Spanish Version (Nunca Ti Hare Llorar) - 4:36 (printed time: 4:33)
5) Instrumental - 4:45 (printed time: 4:26)
Comments: I don't ever remember hearing the Spanglish or Spanish versions in my area. Does anyone recall hearing (or playing) them? As usual, I don't count instrumental versions as official radio versions since they rarely, if ever, get airplay.

BACKSTREET BOYS - ALL I HAVE TO GIVE (JDJ-42562-2)
1) Radio Version - 4:06
2) Album Version - 4:34
3) Instrumental - 4:35

METALLICA - NOTHING ELSE MATTERS (Elektra PRCD 8534)
1) Album Version - 6:27
METALLICA - NOTHING ELSE MATTERS (Elektra PRCD 8534-2)
1) Edit - 5:00
Comments: I asked Jim about this one, but then I remembered that I posted promo single information about this song on the "DJ Edit Additions..." thread a while ago. Evidently, two promo CD singles were released for "Nothing Else Matters".

JOURNEY - WHEN YOU LOVE A WOMAN (CSK 8688)
1) Radio Edit - 3:56
2) (untitled) - 4:07
3) No Guitar Solo Edit - 3:45 (printed time: 3:55)

Edited by Todd Ireland on 26 May 2006 at 12:51pm

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 May 2006 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

Just a minor item regarding Journey's "When You Love a Woman"... You might want to add to the database that the No Guitar Solo Edit runs 3:45, not 3:55 as stated on the label.

Also, I've recently obtained a promo DJ CD single copy of the following:

38 SPECIAL - THE SOUND OF YOUR VOICE (Charisma PRCD 046)
1) Edit - 4:36 (not 4:30 as stated on the label)
2) Album Version - 4:56

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 May 2006 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Here's some information on a few more DJ CD singles, with thanks to Jim (a.k.a. Jimct):

SELENA - DREAMING OF YOU (DPRO-10427)
1) Radio Edit - 4:46 (not 4:15 as stated on the label)
2) Album Version - 5:14

SKID ROW - I REMEMBER YOU (PR 2748-2)
1) Faded Version - 4:13
2) LP Version - 5:12
Comments: Yes, it turns out Aaron K. has the correct DJ length on his TM Century CD.

WHITESNAKE - FOOL FOR YOUR LOVING (PRO-CD-3808)
1) CHR Mix - 4:09

Edited by Todd Ireland on 27 May 2006 at 9:51am

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 May 2006 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Brian W. wrote:
Okay, Todd, the edit version of "Miracle" on the Japanese CD3 runs 4:59. I haven't yet been able to verify what version was on the promo CD, or which version the 45 and cassette single were. But 5:41 would be an unusually long time for a song played on the radio. I can't imagine the promo didn't contain an edit.

I tried bidding on what appeared to be a U.S. promo CD single of Whitney Houston's "Miracle" a couple of weeks ago on eBay and lost. (It would've cost over $30 to win it and I just can't justify paying that much for a CD single.) The auction listed the "Miracle" DJ CD single as having one track with a run time of 4:29. There was no catalog number provided.

Has anyone been able to get their hands on a copy of this promo single who can verify the run time?

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 May 2006 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

TM Century had a 4:54 edit of Miracle on one of their "A" series discs from 1991 and also on a gold disc..
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 May 2006 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

todd i have the promo cd single of the song issued as arista ascd-2222 and it contains one track running 4:59....would you like an copy??

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version