Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Top 40 Hits still not on cd in the US Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 August 2007 at 7:04am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

The "Now Voyager" vinyl LP version states (4:43) and runs (4:42).
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 September 2007 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Pat Downey wrote:
Same for the original Dr. Hook cd "Players In The Dark" on Casablanca 800054 - if you have this cd and can pass along the running time of "Baby Makes Her Blue Jeans Talk" I will enter it in the database.

Okay, I put my money where my mouth was, and just acquired an original (used) CD of "Players in the Dark" by Dr. Hook. (This one's definitely a toughie; it set me back $60!)

Interesting situation here. For starters, although the vinyl LP & cassette were both issued on Casablanca 7264 in early 1982, by the time the CD version came out in 1983-84, the Casablanca label was no more, and PolyGram had also switched to a more universal catalog-numbering system. Consequently, the CD & inserts all actually bear the "Mercury" name & logo - not Casablanca, as my sources indicated - but the catalog no. itself is indeed 800 054-2. And as I predicted, the CD is a West German pressing for the U.S. market, since there weren't yet any CD-manufacturing plants Stateside at the time...

That said, printed time on the back insert for "Baby Makes Her Blue Jeans Talk" is (3:46), and surprisingly, that's just what it actually runs! However, it turns out the new "Greatest Hooks" collection fades the song early, to just (3:40). Also, in his "Pop Annual", Whitburn claims the 45 version runs (3:39); since I don't own the 45, I have no idea whether that's accurate, or if it's a different mix from the LP/CD version. All I can say for sure is that based on the lyrics, the "Greatest Hooks" version is the "Players in the Dark" version faded about six seconds early. I'll let the folks w/ the excellent 45 collections here sort out the rest...

I don't usually pay this much for CDs, but I guess I can also have the satisfaction of now owning the group's final pop hit, "Loveline", on CD - a song that was omitted from "Greatest Hooks"... :-)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 September 2007 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

My U.S. commercial 45 of 'Baby Makes Her Blue Jeans Talk' runs 3:40.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 July 2008 at 4:01am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

80smusicfreak wrote:
As an aside, I do have Tony Carey's "The First Day of Summer", Eddie Schwartz's "All Our Tomorrows", and Pia Zadora's "The Clapping Song" on CD, but all of those are definitely imports, and I'm not aware of their appearance on any U.S. CDs to date...

While most folks here lately seem to be focused (obsessed???) on the CD release of some hit 45 versions by the likes of Eddie Money and R. Dean Taylor (full disclosure: yes, even *I* bought the new EM and H&O "Playlist" CDs from Sony/BMG for the rare "45 versions" that they included!), alas, no one has yet to mention that on May 13, Tony Carey's 1984 hit, "The First Day of Summer", actually made its U.S. CD debut in either form...

It's included on Carey's new hits collection, "A Lonely Life - The Anthology", on Renaissance RMED-353 (printed on the disc itself as "RMED-0353", so take your pick). I have the CD, and the actual timing for "The First Day of Summer" is (3:43); although I don't own the 7" single myself, according to Joel Whitburn's "Hot 100 Annual", the 45 version/length is "(3:28)", so this appears to be the LP version/length...

I've been a huge TC fan since 1983, when I first heard Planet P's "Why Me?", and his fantastic follow-up solo album the very next year, "Some Tough City", sealed it. (As indicated in an earlier post, I've had the latter - which was the original parent album of "The First Day of Summer" - on an import CD for years now. Renaissance label owner John W. Edwards' liner notes in "Anthology" state, "Several more of TC's solo albums are being re-released in North America during 2008 and 2009...," so it appears that we will FINALLY be seeing the U.S. CD debut of "Some Tough City" shortly!) While Renaissance has been known to issue second (later) pressings of some of their CDs on CD-R, the new hits CD is a factory-pressed disc, and included the involvement of TC himself. Of course, it does include his other U.S. top 40 hit, 1984's "A Fine Fine Day" - which is also hard to get on CD - and it clocks in at (4:23). (Both the 45 & LP versions reportedly run "4:24", so I assume they're the same???) In addition to his several other lesser pop & AOR hits, as an added bonus, "Anthology" also includes most of his hits as lead singer of Planet P Project! This new CD doesn't quite measure up to the home-made cassette that I recorded of his solo & Planet P material some 15 years ago, but a welcome release from another very underrated '80s act, nevertheless. (Mariah who???) :-)

"Yes, and we lied a little/
And we maybe stole some/
Sayin', 'Southern Cali-forni-a, here we come!'..."
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 July 2008 at 4:23am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Thanks for the heads up on the Tony Carey info. I remember fondly, as a jock on what was then K104 locally, we played both Tony Carey tracks in 1984. I also remember playing the Planet P track at an AOR in Parkersburg, WV in 1983.

**Edited to add** Does anyone have the actual run time of the 45 for "The First Day Of Summer"?

Edited by eriejwg on 23 July 2008 at 4:25am
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 July 2008 at 4:54am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

The 45 of "The First Day Of Summer" does indeed run 3:28. To help determine if the 45 is an edit or simply a shorter length compared to the LP, here's some details about the 45:

(0:24) vocals start (first verse)
(0:57) chorus
(1:47) verse
(2:04) bridge
(2:36) chorus repeated several times to fade
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 July 2008 at 6:11am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

probably, it's because most of tony carey's work has been available as imports for the better part of 15 years.....that's when i bought his import greatest hits cd...

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 July 2008 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The 45 of "The First Day Of Summer" is an edit of the LP version. I don't have either in front of me now, but I know that the intro is shortened on the 45. There's a well-done edit in the intro on a snare hit that links a piano roll (before the edit) to a snare/crash cymbal (after the edit).

I have the 45 and promo 12" at home - I'll dig them out tonight.

BTW, I think there has been an earlier Tony Carey greatest hits CD, although it may have been available only through Mr. Carey's website. Don't have it myself.

Also BTW, the 45 of Planet P's "Why Me" is a different mix than the LP version. I have the Geffen release of the full Planet P CD, but I haven't seen the 45 version on CD.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 July 2008 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

edtop40 wrote:
...most of tony carey's work has been available as imports for the better part of 15 years...

At one time or another, yes. But inexpensive and easy to find today??? In most cases, definitely not...

The one other TC CD that I have at this time is the import from 2000 titled "Retrospective: 1982-1999", which is now out-of-print; I obtained it used through eBay last year, and it wasn't that cheap...

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 July 2008 at 8:59am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

crapfromthepast wrote:
BTW, I think there has been an earlier Tony Carey greatest hits CD, although it may have been available only through Mr. Carey's website. Don't have it myself.

There have indeed been at least three previous TC hits CDs released - including "Retrospective: 1982-1999" - but all have been imports. (Even the promo sticker affixed to the shrink-wrap on the front of the new "Anthology" CD from Renaissance boasts the following: "First ever U.S. 'Best Of' Compilation".) I don't know if any of those were offered exclusively through his web site or not, but bear in mind that while TC's American, he's lived in Germany for years now, and as such, his official web site is also based there. Frankly, I was always pretty disappointed w/ the track selection on all of those imports - and while not perfect, the new Renaissance CD is by far the best of the bunch, IMHO...

Quote:
Also BTW, the 45 of Planet P's "Why Me" is a different mix than the LP version. I have the Geffen release of the full Planet P CD, but I haven't seen the 45 version on CD.

"Why Me?" clocks in at (4:04) on the new "Anthology", so it's the LP version. I'm not aware of the (3:29) "45 version" appearing anywhere on CD to date, either. (Yep, I also have the domestic "Planet P" CD, as well as "Pink World", which has still only ever been available as an import - great stuff!)

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 July 2008 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Even though it didn't hit the top 40, I did pick up a promo 45 for "Why Me" from Planet P. LP version on one side and a
Edit/Remix on the other. Edit/Remix is listed as 3:29, but runs 3:16.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2011 at 4:53am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Bumping this up for NightAire, since I knew we'd discussed Tony Carey & Planet P here before...

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 September 2011 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Brian W. wrote:
Good news for those of us wanting "Pieces of Ice" on CD. All of Diana Ross' RCA albums are being re-released on CD in Japan next week. I just ordered "Ross" for around $16.50 US (though even the cheapest shipping from Japan was about five bucks, and takes around three weeks). But no bonus tracks on most of them, unfortunately. (I was really hoping for the remixes of Eaten Alive and Chain Reaction.)
Is the version of "Chain Reaction" found on the CD Greatest Hits - The RCA Years the first single release before it was remixed and re-released six months later (the remix charted higher in '86)?

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 September 2011 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Santi Paradoa wrote:
Is the version of "Chain Reaction"
found on the CD Greatest Hits - The RCA Years the first
single release before it was remixed and re-released six
months later (the remix charted higher in '86)?

Yes. The CD version is the original single version,
which ran about 3:51. (Hit #95 in Nov 1985) This is the
version that was a huge hit in Europe.

The single remix is labeled on the 45 as "Special New
Mix", but has the same catalog number as the original 45.
(The remix hit #66 in May 1986). The remix ran about
4:20, and is still absent from CD release, as far as I
know.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 September 2011 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Thanks for the quick response.

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 September 2011 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

80smusicfreak, thanks for the heads' up; I had missed it!

eriejwg, what kind of condition was the single in? I'm still looking for a (likely never available) digital copy or a clean vinyl copy...

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 September 2011 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

NightAire wrote:
what kind of condition was the single in? I'm still looking for a (likely never available) digital copy or a clean vinyl copy...

Gene, I'll send you a dub from my copy, which hadn't been previously played.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 September 2011 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

EXCEPTIONAL!!! It's a PERFECT copy, and I can now confirm this can NOT be re-created from the album version; it's a clean, dry, drums start. ("tuh-tah-tuh!", then the synths are brought in with the down-beat.)

Fascinating how you can't remember what was different when you heard a song on the radio... but when you hear the "real" radio version, there's this "ah-ha!" moment that reminds you "THIS is how it sounded." :)

THANK YOU. This community is just... amazing.

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2011 at 6:30am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

The 12" remix of Chain Reaction is on the CD "Best Club Anthems 80s Classics", so perhaps it can be edited down into the radio mix. Unfortunately, as I state in my review on amazon, they did something really odd to the intro of the song...added a sort of flange effect, which makes me think they may have mastered it from vinyl and were trying to hide a flaw in the quality of the record they used...

Edited by budaniel on 16 September 2011 at 6:39am
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2011 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

NightAire wrote:
EXCEPTIONAL!!! It's a PERFECT copy,
and I can now confirm this can NOT be re-created from the
album version; it's a clean, dry, drums start. ("tuh-
tah-tuh!", then the synths are brought in with the down-
beat.)

Probably should have chimed in earlier regarding "Why
Me"...

It's not just the intro that's different. The whole mix
is a little different. There isn't one particular
element that stands out, but the mix is just "punched up"
a bit for the 45. I tend to focus on drums in the mix,
and they sound a little bit different on the 45.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version