Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Top 40 Hits still not on cd in the US Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 July 2007 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

For those that are subscribers to the database, you can easily do a search by whatever year range you select to find the songs that are not on cd in the US. On the home page, under title search, simply select your year range and for "on cd" select no and then click on search.

The results by decade are as follows:
1955-1959 91 songs
1960-1969 56 songs
1970-1979 34 songs
1980-1989 24 songs
1990-1999 2 songs
2000-2006 6 songs
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 July 2007 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

80smusicfreak wrote:
As an aside, I do have Tony Carey's "The First Day of Summer", Eddie Schwartz's "All Our Tomorrows", and Pia Zadora's "The Clapping Song" on CD, but all of those are definitely imports, and I'm not aware of their appearance on any U.S. CDs to date...

This comes as very interesting news, Gregg, because I've been searching for "All Our Tomorrows" and "The Clapping Song" on CD for quite some time, but I've never run across either on a digital format. I've even searched on www.allmusic.com and have found nothing. Could you kindly tip us off as to where to find these elusive hits on CD?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 July 2007 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Todd Ireland wrote:
Could you kindly tip us off as to where to find these elusive hits on CD?

No problem... :-)

"All Our Tomorrows" is on Eddie Schwartz's 1994 CD, "Private Life (Best Shots)", from Germany. Label & no. is Long Island Records LIRC 00014. CD comes w/ deluxe packaging, including a plastic slipcover, bonus fold-open insert/poster w/ liner notes, and gold-lettered jewel case! It was a limited-edition pressing of just 2,000 copies, each individually numbered on the previously-mentioned insert/poster. Long out-of-print and needless to say, fairly tough to find (currently goes for about $20-$25). It's actually a hits collection of his '80s recordings. "All Our Tomorrows" runs (5:17), and is thus the LP version (Whitburn's "Pop Annual" states the 45 times out to just 3:58). "Private Life (Best Shots)" also includes his two other U.S. hits, "Over the Line" and "No Refuge"...

"The Clapping Song" is on Pia Zadora's 1984 CD, "Let's Dance Tonight", from West Germany (also pressed in Japan, too, BTW). Label & no. for the German version - the one I have - is Curb Int. 847.716. Also long out-of-print and fairly tough to find (currently goes for about $30-$35). The album was actually re-titled "When the Rain Begins to Fall" when released in the U.S. in 1985 on Curb/MCA 5557, w/ the same cover art & track listing (but only issued on LP & cassette here - and yes, I have the U.S. cassette). "The Clapping Song" runs (3:23), which actually matches the timing given in Whitburn's "Pop Annual", so I'll go out on a limb and say it's the 45 version. :-) "Let's Dance Tonight" also includes her two U.S. hits, "Rock it Out" and "When the Rain Begins to Fall" (duet w/ Jermaine Jackson), but curiously, not "I'm in Love Again" as well...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

rnell
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 July 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote rnell

I'm surprised no one (as far as I know) ever mentioned that Barry Gibb's Now voyager album including Shine shine was released in the USA on MCA 5506. Although the CD reads "manufactured in Japan" I understand this is a US release. By the way, MacMacnally's Nothing but the truth with Minimum love is available through this website www.richardsandsouthern.com (this is an official release I understand).

Half of the songs on the 80s list and many from the 70s that have never been released in the US are available through imports (Beach boys medley, S. Woods, Photoglo, Persuaders to name a few). If anybody's interested let me know and I can give more details, as I have all those CDs.
Back to Top View rnell's Profile Search for other posts by rnell

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 July 2007 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hi "rnell",

Yes, I am interested in your list of difficult-to-find 70s & 80s chart hits on import CDs!

Please omit anything that you feel 'sounds like it doesn't come from a tape'. There is nothing more annoying than paying top dollar for an out-of-print import that is a needledrop as I own the vinyl already.

Thank You!!

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

gnj1958@sbcglob
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 July 2007 at 1:59am | IP Logged Quote gnj1958@sbcglob

Where are you guys getting Cliff Richard having a US hit with "Give A Little Bit More"? It's not in my book. I believe it's actually the UK song "Never Say Die" which looks like it was released in the US as "Give A little Bit More". But neither title show up in my book. It shows Cliff having 9 Top 40 hits.
Back to Top View gnj1958@sbcglob's Profile Search for other posts by gnj1958@sbcglob

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 July 2007 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

gnj1958@sbcglob wrote:
Where are you guys getting Cliff Richard having a US hit with "Give A Little Bit More"? It's not in my book. I believe it's actually the UK song "Never Say Die" which looks like it was released in the US as "Give A little Bit More". But neither title show up in my book. It shows Cliff having 9 Top 40 hits.

"Give A Little Bit More" peaked at #36 in Cash Box and at #41 in Billboard in 1981.

"Never Say Die (Give A Little Bit More)" peaked at #73 in Billboard and at #78 in Cash Box in 1983.

Two totally different songs.

Just a couple of reasons to have the "Top Pop Singles" book instead of, or in addition to, "Top 40 Hits":)
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 July 2007 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Even though they may not be on domestic CD, and I know that's the focus of this site, a quick check at Napster.com reveals these are currently available:

1970's:
Fancy - Touch Me (on Wild Thing/Turns You On)
Fancy - Wild Thing (on Wild Thing/Turns You On)
Heatherton, Joey - Gone (reissue of 1972 LP)

Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 July 2007 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

eriejwg:

Pat wrote about Fancy's two Top 40 hits debuting in the U.S. on CD in the "Reviews" section of the website back in April. He reports though that the CD sounds like it was mastered from vinyl.

gnj1958@sbcglob
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 July 2007 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote gnj1958@sbcglob

Paul Haney wrote:
gnj1958@sbcglob wrote:

"Give A Little Bit More" peaked at #36 in Cash Box and at #41 in Billboard in 1981.

"Never Say Die (Give A Little Bit More)" peaked at #73 in Billboard and at #78 in Cash Box in 1983.

Two totally different songs.

Just a couple of reasons to have the "Top Pop Singles" book instead of, or in addition to, "Top 40 Hits":)

Oh yeah I see now. It's a track off the "I'm No Hero" album which wasn't released as a single in the UK. I don't bother with Cash Box hits myself.
Back to Top View gnj1958@sbcglob's Profile Search for other posts by gnj1958@sbcglob

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 August 2007 at 7:24pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

rnell wrote:
I'm surprised no one (as far as I know) ever mentioned that Barry Gibb's Now voyager album including Shine shine was released in the USA on MCA 5506. Although the CD reads "manufactured in Japan" I understand this is a US release.

Good catch, rnell. I remember seeing the CD for "Now Voyager" a few times on eBay in the past, but never got around to double-checking whether or not there was a U.S. release for that one on CD back in the day. (I have the cassette myself.) So I just did, and sure enough, my old "Schwann" catalogs from the mid '80s do indeed indicate that that title was issued on CD here in the U.S., w/ the "MCAD-5506" number. (And yes, as long as that catalog no. matches - as you indicate - that Japan pressing of yours was indeed made for the U.S. market!) Therefore, Pat can definitely scratch "Shine Shine" as well...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 August 2007 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

80smusicfreak wrote:
Would somebody be kind enough to update the list???

Okay, two more down from the '80s ("Shine Shine" and "Girls Can Get It") since I made the above request only two weeks ago. Actually, I can get by w/o knowing the ones from the '50s and '60s. :-) Still no volunteers??? Thanks in advance...

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 August 2007 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

If anyone owns the original Agnetha Faltskog cd "Wrap Your Arms Around Me" (not the imports which are readily available today), pass along the running time of "Can't Shake Loose" and I will enter the information in the database.

Same for the original Dr. Hook cd "Players In The Dark" on Casablanca 800054 - if you have this cd and can pass along the running time of "Baby Makes Her Blue Jeans Talk" I will enter it in the database.

And the same for the Barry Gibb cd "Now Voyager" MCA 5506 - if you have this cd pass along the running time of "Shine Shine" and I will enter that information in the database.

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 August 2007 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

'The Beach Boys Medley' was issued in the U.S. in 2003 on the four track CD, Sounds Of Summer Singles. It contains a production error, however, causing something weird to happen to the speed of the tape near the end of the fadeout. It is therefore technically not the 45 version.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2007 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

80smusicfreak wrote:
80smusicfreak wrote:
Would somebody be kind enough to update the list???

Okay, two more down from the '80s ("Shine Shine" and "Girls Can Get It") since I made the above request only two weeks ago. Actually, I can get by w/o knowing the ones from the '50s and '60s. :-) Still no volunteers??? Thanks in advance...

When Pat first posted in this thread the list of songs still missing on CD, the Top 40 Music on Compact Disc database had not yet been constructed. But now that the database exists and paying subscribers can now easily pull up a list of songs not available on CD, I haven't thought it necessary to go back and spend all kinds of time updating Pat's original list. To remind subscribers of how to access a current list of songs not available on a U.S. CD release, simply go to the main page of the database search engine where it says "TITLE SEARCH". Then underneath where it says "ON CD", click the button next to the "N" option, then click "SEARCH" and, voila, a never-before-on-CD list of Top 40 hits instantly appears!

Edited by Todd Ireland on 10 August 2007 at 8:05pm

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 August 2007 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Paul C wrote:
'The Beach Boys Medley' was issued in the U.S. in 2003 on the four track CD, Sounds Of Summer Singles. It contains a production error, however, causing something weird to happen to the speed of the tape near the end of the fadeout. It is therefore technically not the 45 version.

I pulled out my copy of the four track CD containing "The Beach Boys Medley" and it does indeed sound like the tape source begins "dragging" at the 4:01 mark (the song fades completely out at 4:08). I've never been particularly impressed with the mastering of this CD either because the dynamic range is largely lost due to overcompression of the audio levels.

rnell
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 August 2007 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote rnell

Finally here, running time of Barry Gibb's Shine shine in the Now voyager CD is 4.42
Back to Top View rnell's Profile Search for other posts by rnell

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 August 2007 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Now is there a 45 vs LP version issue on the song "Shine Shine" as I do not have the LP or 45?

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 August 2007 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat, I have just pulled out and timed my promo 45 for this. One side has a listed time (4:30); actual time (4:42) length, while the other side has a listed time (4:13); actual time (4:15) length. No long/short version designations appear anywhere on the DJ 45, even though that is obviously the case here.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 August 2007 at 7:27am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Pat Downey wrote:
Now is there a 45 vs LP version issue on the song "Shine Shine" as I do not have the LP or 45?

Pat, our commercial 45 states (4:30), but runs (4:42).
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version