Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Edits of short songs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 July 2006 at 10:02am | IP Logged Quote torcan

I was going over some old messages and ran into a thread about Joan Jett's "I Love Rock N Roll" from several months ago. In that thread it mentioned the 45 version ran 2:45 while the LP version ran 2:55, with one of the choruses edited out on the 45.

I can certainly understand edits of longer songs appearing on 45s so they'd be more "radio friendly", but I've always wondered why they sometimes edited shorter songs as well. Using the Joan Jett single as an example, there's just one edit in that otherwise it's the exact same as the LP. Why would they go to the trouble of doing an edit of just a few seconds when the song is already fairly short?

For that matter, I'm surprised that so many 45s were just a few seconds shorter than their LP versions, either with an early fade or an edit. (I guess in radio a few seconds matter, right?)
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 July 2006 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

Maybe it was also an artistic edit, in that they thought the song flowed a bit better with more editing than the longer version.
Back to Top View Grant's Profile Search for other posts by Grant

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 July 2006 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

Sometimes labels did it to make people buy the longer version on the LP.
Back to Top View Jeff H.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jeff H.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 July 2006 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Maybe it's a case of shortening a 16 second intro in half. That edit gets to the first verse twice as quickly, yet the single edit would only be 8 seconds shorter than the album version. And getting to the verse quickly is an important thing for radio, as well as for hit songs.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

That argument has merit, but wouldn't apply in the case of "I Love Rock & Roll," in which the edit appears toward the end.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote Grant

sriv94 wrote:
That argument has merit, but wouldn't apply in the case of "I Love Rock & Roll," in which the edit appears toward the end.
Sure it would. Perhaps editing the extra ad-libbing towards the end of a song makes it sound tighter. Short, quick, and sweet.   Get in and get out, and make the biggest impact while you're there.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Oh, I agree with that--my point was the actual edit of "ILR&R" was toward the end, so the argument about why shave 10 seconds off that song in relation to Gordon's point about cutting the intro in half doesn't apply (since that's not what they edited).

A better song that illustrates the point is Dr. Hook's "Sylvia's Mother"--there the intro is shaved in half (but it's still a really small edit). Still another example would be Air Supply's "All Out Of Love."

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote torcan

sriv94 wrote:

A better song that illustrates the point is Dr. Hook's "Sylvia's Mother"--there the intro is shaved in half (but it's still a really small edit). Still another example would be Air Supply's "All Out Of Love."

Or what about Taylor Dayne's "Love Will Lead You Back" - another song where about 9 seconds is edited out of the intro, and the rest is the exact same (as far as I know).
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Of course, as far as I know the all time champ would be "Marrakesh Express" (the two second spoken intro is on the LP but not the 45). :)

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote Grant

See, a person used to hearing the 45 version, or became familiar with a song via the 45 first would usually not have a problem with the edits.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 July 2006 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

<my point was the actual edit of "ILR&R" was toward the end, so the argument about why shave 10 seconds off that song in relation to Gordon's point about cutting the intro in half doesn't apply (since that's not what they edited). >

I wasn't referring to "I Love Rock'n Roll" in my comment. I was mainly referring to Torcan's last comment:

<I'm surprised that so many 45s were just a few seconds shorter than their LP versions, either with an early fade or an edit. (I guess in radio a few seconds matter, right?) >

It's true, when an edit is only 8 seconds shorter, you wonder why. But then when you think about it - if, say, the intro is cut in half, you can kind of see why the record company might want to do that. (Although, personally, I like the original, long intro of "All Out Of Love". Maybe because that's the version I first knew.)
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Grant
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 July 2006 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote Grant

I just look at it differently. I see no distinction between an intro being edited or a fadeout being edited orshortened. It's all done as either for an artistic reason or an functinal reason, or both. Sometimes a single version is more thought out than the LP version.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

sriv94 wrote:
Of course, as far as I know the all time champ would be "Marrakesh Express" (the two second spoken intro is on the LP but not the 45). :)

Actually, Doug, I think "Burning Heart" by Survivor now has that one beaten! As Ed pointed out in another thread, if you were to edit out the first four-tenths of a second at the very beginning of the LP version intro, you essentially get the 45 version!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

This reminds me of "The Other Guy" by Little River Band. The only difference between the two versions is a quick eighth-note pick up on the bass guitar that precedes the downbeat. I can't remember which version has it, though. It could be that the bass note was added to the 45 version, which would be the opposite of the "Burning Heart" scenario. The 45 would be lengthened by about 2/10ths of a second!

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2006 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Todd Ireland wrote:
Actually, Doug, I think "Burning Heart" by Survivor now has that one beaten! As Ed pointed out in another thread, if you were to edit out the first four-tenths of a second at the very beginning of the LP version intro, you essentially get the 45 version!

You're right, Todd. I completely forgot about Ed's post on that.

Edited by sriv94 on 08 July 2006 at 9:10am

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2006 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

EdisonLite wrote:
I wasn't referring to "I Love Rock'n Roll" in my comment. I was mainly referring to Torcan's last comment:

<I'm surprised that so many 45s were just a few seconds shorter than their LP versions, either with an early fade or an edit. (I guess in radio a few seconds matter, right?) >

Oh. That's very different.

Never mind.

:-D

VWestlife
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 March 2021 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote VWestlife

Todd Ireland wrote:
I think "Burning Heart" by Survivor now has that one beaten! As Ed pointed out in another thread, if you were to edit out the first four-tenths of a second at the very beginning of the LP version intro, you essentially get the 45 version!

This 45 of "Burning Heart" doesn't have the first drum hit shaved off... so could the ones which do simply have been a mastering error?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCvFMStf_Mg
Back to Top View VWestlife's Profile Search for other posts by VWestlife Visit VWestlife's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 March 2021 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

The 45 version of "Rainy Day People" is another edit of an
already short song. 5 seconds are removed from 1:52-1:57.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Jody Thornton
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 March 2021 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote Jody Thornton

What about "One Hundred Ways" by Quincy and Ingram. The LP cut from Duke has a light snare drum hit before the keyboards kick in at the start. It's absent from the 45-rpm disc.

Londonbeat was "Thinkin'About" nixing the three drum taps from the beginning of their 1991 single, so they did so on a radio promo.

And Vangelis faded in "Titles" on the second set of two long keyboard notes.

Back to Top View Jody Thornton's Profile Search for other posts by Jody Thornton Visit Jody Thornton's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version