Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Lately by Jodeci Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 June 2006 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Ed has mentioned to me that the cassette single of "Lately" is the "radio version" running (4:33) which he says also appears on the dj cd single UPT5P-2679. I do not have that particular dj cd single but I have UPT5P-2740 which lists a "radio version" but this one runs (4:22) so is there anyone out there that has both of these dj cd singles that can compare the two "radio versions" to see if there is any difference between them other than length?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I have just discovered that the dj cd single Ed is referring to is a "live" recording of Lately that is called "radio". Ed, is the cassette single "live"?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

yes, sir....it's from the mtv live studio cd.....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, the studio version was not the hit. The hit is the live version Ed is referring to.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

pat....just so we're clear on this one....the cassingle does NOT STATE that the version on it is the "radio version"....it has NO decsription on the cassingle or the sleeve.....i mentioned that it's the radio version because i have the live promo cd single.....and they are identical even though it doesn't state that explicitly on the cassingle itself.....

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 February 2008 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Kinda odd, I have this song on an old RPM Top Hits disc and it's labeled as "Lately" (Radio), yet it's a studio version. According to this thread, not the hit version. Interesting.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 February 2008 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote eric_a

eriejwg wrote:
Kinda odd, I have this song on an old RPM Top Hits disc and it's labeled as "Lately" (Radio), yet it's a studio version. According to this thread, not the hit version. Interesting.

At least one version of the video was made with the studio version. Maybe it was so BET wouldn't have to implicitly plug MTV Unplugged in those days before they shared a parent company.
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 April 2008 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial cassingle issued as uptown/mca 54652 contains a non-described version which runs 4:32......the cassingles' face states "original version appears on the mtv-uptown 'unplugged' album upt-10858".....the cassingles face also states "produced 'live' by devante swing for swing mob productions inc"...........the cassingle version is identical to the "radio" version which is found on the usa promo cd single issued as upt5p 2679....this cassingle info should be added to the db.....

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2009 at 12:51am | IP Logged Quote jimct

My friend Todd just mentioned this track in an e-mail to me, so I thought I'd pull what I had for it. Although the studio version was generally considered to be the hit, we opted to play the studio version for it on-the-air in 1993. (We cued past the first :07 1/2 seconds of Cut 1, of the first of the three promo CD singles I own/will list for this song.)

Jodeci-"Lately" (UPT5P-2740) (Cuts 1/2/3/5 are studio)
1-(Radio) (listed 4:20; actual 4:22)
2-(Main) (listed 6:20; actual 6:22)
3-(TV Track) (listed 6:20; actual 6:23)
4-(Extended Live) (listed 5:06; actual 5:14)
5-(World Beat Peace Mix) (listed 6:20; actual 6:23)

Jodeci-"Lately" (UPT5P-2777) (both cuts are live)
1-Pop Edit (listed & actual 4:56)
2-Pop Edit W/O Intro (listed 4:46; actual 4:45)

Jodeci-"Lately" (UPT5P-2679) (both cuts are live)
1-(Radio) (listed 4:22; actual 4:30)
2-(Album Version) (listed 5:06; actual 5:14)

So, there's technically both a studio and a live track for this song, and both of them are titled exactly the same way: (Radio).

Edited by jimct on 09 February 2009 at 1:39am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2009 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

I am still confused.

Was the studio version ever released COMMERCIALLY on a single/cassingle/CD single?

Was the studio version released contemporaneously on an album?

Was the studio version released promotionally first or second?

I realize that these questions may have been answered in the above postings, but I need clarification,

Thanks all!

Andy

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 February 2009 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

At the time it was a hit, I don't think "Lately" showed up on any Jodeci album, as it was released live on the Uptown MTV Unplugged album. None of their three studio albums contain this song. Maybe it was only released promotionally for BET video purposes, as was suggested earlier in the thread.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2009 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

AndrewChouffi wrote:
I am still confused.

Was the studio version ever released COMMERCIALLY on a single/cassingle/CD single?

Was the studio version released contemporaneously on an album?

Was the studio version released promotionally first or second?

1) I don't believe, so, Andy, based on some of the info included in my answer to question #2.

2) No. There are asterisks next to tracks 1, 2, 3 & 5 of my #2740 P CD S. At the bottom of the paper insert, it says (*Studio versions not available on album). This statement probably extends to single configurations, as Uptown was aggressively working their "Uptown MTV Unplugged" album, but I cannot say with 100% certainty.

3) Second, I believe. You can often go by the catalog # of the P CD S to determine the approximate release sequence, but not always. It has been 16 years, but as I vaguely recall, we did not add the song "out of the box" (as soon as it came in to us.) So, the #2679 (live), #2740 (studio) P CD S sequence seems right to me, with at least two weeks probably going by before we got the studio P CD S in. This certainly lends credibility to Aaron's "studio versions done mainly for BET" thoery.

Edited by jimct on 08 February 2009 at 2:19pm

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2009 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

It appears I have done a very poor job in explaining what actually appears on my promo CD singles, because Pat has just added to his db that "all non-hit studio versions run (6:20)." This is untrue. The listed (4:20), actual (4:22) "Radio" cut, from my first-mentioned #2740 promo, is a STUDIO recording, not live. The listed (4:22), actual (4:30) "Radio" cut, from my third-mentioned #2679 promo, is LIVE, not studio. So, despite both cuts being titled exactly the same: "Radio", these two tracks are COMPLETELY different takes of the same song; one is studio, and one is live.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 February 2009 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Beside's Jim's station, I wonder how many other stations played the STUDIO version vs. the LIVE version.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 February 2009 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Thank you for your answers, Jim!

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version