Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Walk a Mile in My Shoes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 June 2006 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

Does anybody know what radio played when this Joe South song was a minor hit? Reason I ask: I think every stereo CD of this song features the vocal completely out of phase, meaning if you played this mix on AM Radio in 1970 you wouldn't have heard his vocal at all.. it gets phased completely out in mono.

I picked up an original Capitol 45 today to verify that it was origninally screwed up. It's in stereo, but the INSTRUMENTATION phases out. So on the original 45, it's not the vocal that is cancelled out in mono but instrumentation.

You can't fix this song simply by flipping the phase. It must be messed up on the multrack meaning you can either have unphased instrumentation or unphased vocal, but not both.

When did the phase get flipped so the vocal cancelled out? For the LP version? If so, would the single edits in the book be unsuccessful attempts to recreate the single?

Yeah I know, a lot of discussion over a really screwed up production. Anybody have any information?

Bill
Back to Top View BillCahill's Profile Search for other posts by BillCahill

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 June 2006 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

What's interesting is that Jim sent me a "phase corrected" stereo version of this song. You can mono it without losing the vocal and instrumentation. I'll have to ask Jim how this version came to be. Jim?
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 June 2006 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

Our AM station played WAMIMS and you're right - in mono, the original Capitol 45 lost some of the music. In fact, I don't recall any mono promo copies, either. The problem was tolerable on AM, but today's FM stations and CDs really bring out the sound of that grungy, miswired studio.

GM

Edited by Gary Mack on 29 June 2006 at 8:21pm
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 June 2006 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hi Bill!

I believe the version on his album 'Don't It Make You Want To Go Home' was a completely different mix (some different instrumentation) with a longer fade with some phase problems, but not as egregious as the commercial single or those 180 degrees-flipped CD issues.

Unfortunately I no longer have that vinyl LP so I am going by memory, not fact. But I do still own the vinyl LP 'Joe South's Greatest Hits Vol. 1' which was issued the same year and contains that album mix.

Does anyone have a *mono* promo single and was it a dedicated mix or was it a Haeco-CSG processed fold-down?

I certainly don't remember hearing it on my AM radio in 1970 with anything buried in the mix.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 June 2006 at 11:30pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

"Walk A Mile In My Shoes" is of my digital editing friend Bob's crowning achievements. He said he was able to fix this by dubbing the CD version onto a reel-to-reel tape, and then intentionally mis-aligning the tape heads until he got the out-of-kilter audio to properly phase. He got it, dubbed it this way onto his digital editor, then put the reel-to-reel heads back to their normal position, and gave me the finished product. Glad it meets with your approval, Aaron!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 June 2006 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Wow! I was very impressed with that one, Jim. Very clever technique!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 October 2006 at 6:34am | IP Logged Quote davidclark

I just got a mono version of this that ends cold at about 4:07, runs slower and does not have the percussion hits during the intro, instead it has a bit of Joe humming. Anyone know what this version is?

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 October 2006 at 10:49am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Hello David,

The mix you are describing is the album version (apparently a mono version of it).

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 October 2006 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Was this LP ever issued in mono?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2006 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

The version missing the percussion hits on the intro and featuring a little humming is the same version on the promotional only CD Memories Are Made Of This Part 2, The 60's and beyond, part of an 8 CD boxed set sent to radio stations to celebrate Capitol Records 50th birthday in 1992. I orginally thought somebody just tried some phase fixing to get it in mono, but it appears to be a different mix, as you note. I would doubt somebody would go through the trouble for that promo CD to come up with a new mix but you never know. Or somebody pulled a different mix from the vault, dissatisfied with the phase trouble of all the others. Or just pulled the wrong tape. Since it's 4:07 as you note, I doubt it was on a promo 45 in mono this way. I also doubt there was a mono album. By 1970 Capitol was out of the mono business in LPs.
Back to Top View BillCahill's Profile Search for other posts by BillCahill

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 March 2010 at 2:20am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

I picked up a promotional copy of this 45 yesterday. Unfortunately, it IS stereo, and matches the stock single version in it's out of phase mix. It also contains the original B side of the single, rather than a mono mix of this song on the flip.

Jim, I would love to hear your corrected stereo version.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 17 March 2010 at 5:36am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Does anyone know if this song is directed at someone in particular (much as Bob Dylan's "Positively 4th St" was part of a war-of-songs with Richard Farina)? It sounds too angry to be just a generic put-down.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2010 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote KentT

No mono LP version extant at that time, the LP was Stereo only, even to Radio.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 March 2010 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I ordered a UK copy of the 45 a few days ago, as someone on the Hoffman site said that the UK 45 was mono. Will keep everyone posted.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2013 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

John, did you ever get your UK 45 in? (Even via "container ship", it should be
here by now!) :)   And was it in mono?
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 July 2013 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

There is one on ebay now... but paypal and my bank dont like me so i dont order from overseas sellers now.... but the matrix number on the label seems to match every other release of the tune ive seen worldwide (only some of the labels say stereo, it doesnt mean the others are mono though).

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 July 2013 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Jim, yes I did receive it. Turns out it was 'electronic'
stereo (correct term, I believe). Though, when folded to
mono, it doesn't seem as out of phase as what Tom reports
with his.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

BradOlson
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 September 2016 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote BradOlson

What I did for my AM radio station is folded down the Retrospect CD version to mono for the instrumental backing track, and then send everything to the left for the vocals, and then made a 2-track mono mix which does sound great for AM radio and it folded down to a single channel well doing this.
Back to Top View BradOlson's Profile Search for other posts by BradOlson

Steve Carras
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 September 2016 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote Steve Carras

A MINOR hit?? I thought this was a major one myself (I live in Southern Calif. ... maybe it was bigger there..?)

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 September 2016 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Yeah, I'd say a song that peaked at #12 in Billboard and Cashbox isn't really minor, but YMMV.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version