Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Blessed Union of Souls--I Believe Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 June 2006 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

It's not noted in the database, but my CD of "Home" has 2 versions of "I Believe". The second is a hidden track tagged on to the final track. Does anyone know which version this might be in terms of the notations in the database? There are a variety of listing (LP, 45, remix, alternate radio mix). Can anyone clarify any of the differences? Having the song only on the Home CD, I'm not sure which 2 versions I have (Lp version and on other). Thanks guys.

Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 June 2006 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I can say for sure that one of the mixes (perhaps the radio mix) censors the "n" word, changing it to "brother." I've never compared the radio mix & alternate radio mix, although I believe (no pun intended) I have them both on TM's library.

Edited by aaronk on 11 June 2006 at 8:11pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 June 2006 at 12:09am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

I believe the difference between 'alternate radio mix' & 'radio mix' was the word "brother".

As I recall the originally issued 'radio mix' was uncensored, not for shock value, but for poignance.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 June 2006 at 6:20am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

My dj cd single (EMI DPRO 19979) contains the "alternate radio mix" which runs (3:49) but stated as (3:45) and the "alternate original version" which runs (3:49) but stated as (3:45). Both versions use the word "brother".
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 June 2006 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Anyone have the promo CD single for "I Believe"? I'm pretty sure it contains all the different mixes and edits listed in budaniel's original post.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 June 2006 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat Downey wrote:
My dj cd single (EMI DPRO 19979) contains the "alternate radio mix" which runs (3:49) but stated as (3:45) and the "alternate original version" which runs (3:49) but stated as (3:45). Both versions use the word "brother".
Pat: Stickered to the jewel case of my copy DPRO-19979 is "(Special AC Radio Mix)," even though our pure "Top 40" played the "Alternate Radio Mix" contained on it. We got a 5-track promo CD single in before DPRO-19979 arrived: DPRO-19957:

1-Radio Mix (listed 3:45; actual 3:49)
2-Original Version (listed 3:45; actual 3:49)
3-Alternate Radio Mix (listed 3:45; actual 3:49)*
4-Alternate Original Version (listed 3:45; actual 3:49)*
5-Album Version (listed and actual 4:17)

*Suitable For All Audiences (asterisk and statement is how it actually appears.)

They also had a white block around cuts 3 & 4 to accentuate this point. Cuts 1,2 & 5 use the original lyric; cuts 3 & 4 use "brother." Cuts 3 & 4 on the 5-track promo are the same as cuts 1 & 2 on the 2-track promo.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 June 2006 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote budaniel

wow. so many versions. Thanks Jim. I'll have to listen to the lyrics of that
second "hidden track" on Home to try and narrow it down. I know it's
definitely a remix, but not sure of the lyrics. I'll also have to check the
time index....how I despise "hidden tracks" that are tacked on to other
tracks instead of being isolated.
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 June 2006 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

oh. my mistake. it's not a hidden track. it's just a bonus track not listed. when you pop it in itunes, the title comes up as "Lucky 2". The version uses the "n" word just like the LP version, but it's got heavy sweeping orchestration in it. Perhaps this version is the one that was edited down to make one of those radio mixes (with altered lyrics, of course).

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 June 2006 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

let me put my two cents in here.....i just went back and looked at my notes from reviewing the cassingle version to the version from the cd "home" and here's what we have.....the cassingle runs 4:36 and is identical to the hidden track 12 on the cd "home"....at the 2:45 mark both the hidden track and the cassingle have the "n" word INCLUDED........the only difference is that the hidden track starts off with 3 snare taps while the cassingle version has those edited out.....the desciption on the cassingles sleeve states "original mix" (4:37)......the cassingle also has on the "b" side the "album mix" of the song and it states the run time there is 4:17, although i have not confirmed that......

PAT

you state that the billboard 1994 hits cd has the 45 version......does that include the "n" word on the cd.....if not then it's NOT the correct 45/cassingle version........edtop40

Edited by edtop40 on 12 June 2006 at 7:58pm

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 June 2006 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

The Billboard Top Hits Of 1994 does not have the 3 snare taps and does have the "n" word so that is the 45 version, the same as what appears on your cassingle Ed. The track 12 "Home" cd bonus track has the three snare taps at the beginning disqualifying it from being the 45 version and is described I believe in the database as an "alternate version".
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 June 2006 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Pat:

I'm wondering if maybe the database should list all the versions and mixes that appear on the DJ CD single releases, especially given the fact that the actual run times for many of the tracks differ from the printed run times by four seconds.

Or do you think this would only add to the confusion?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 June 2006 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks, Pat, for adding the DJ CD single info. to the database. I have one additional observation and comment... Track 5 on the promo CD single is listed as "album version", yet it fades :10 sooner than the true album version found on the parent Blessid Union of Souls CD Home. That said, there are two CDs containing "I Believe" in the database that state the accompanying comment: (LP version faded :10 early). Just a suggestion... Would it perhaps be better to slightly modify this comment to read something like: (this is the LP version faded :10 early that appears on some DJ CD single pressings)?

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 October 2007 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

pat....reviving an old thread here.......shouldn't the entry for the hidden track read "45 version except for the beginning 3 snare taps".........the cassingle version (ie 45 version) can be easily re-constructed by just editing off the snare taps at the beginning....doing that you can create the cassingle version which runs 4:38...

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 October 2007 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

another question is why would a record company release a promo cd single with FIVE tracks on it and NONE of them the commercial single version......stupid, stupid, stupid......no wonder the record companies are all going out of business.....

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 October 2007 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

edtop40 wrote:
another question is why would a record company release a promo cd single with FIVE tracks on it and NONE of them the commercial single version......stupid, stupid, stupid......no wonder the record companies are all going out of business.....

Why is that stupid? I've been in broadcasting for much of my adult life, and I don't think I've ever worked at a station that specifically cared what version of a song was the commercial single. Most selected the version that sounded best on the air. Indeed, playing a version that was not commercially available gave them an edge...you could only hear that version on the radio. My guess is that few stations would want to play the "N-word" version.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 October 2007 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

hykker...welcome aboard.....the reason it is stupid, in my opinion, is that during this period, cassingles were the main single format, and why NOT issue the cassingle version on the promo cd single...that's the version people want and listened to....any additional versions are just unwanted noise.....in my estimation....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 October 2007 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Hykker wrote:
I don't think I've ever worked at a station that specifically cared what version of a song was the commercial single.

Welcome aboard, Hykker. Yes, I agree. Since the beginning of promo singles (including 45s), radio has often times been serviced with different versions that were not on the commercial single.

edtop40 wrote:
why NOT issue the cassingle version on the promo cd single...that's the version people want and listened to...

Actually, I have often times been disappointed that the commercial single didn't contain the promo edit/mix. A record doesn't usually sell without the help of radio or some other type of promotion. It's those promotional versions that you get used to hearing, and those are the ones I've always tried to collect. Why the record companies don't issue THOSE versions on the commercial singles is probably a better question.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 October 2007 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

aaronk wrote:

Actually, I have often times been disappointed that the commercial single didn't contain the promo edit/mix. A record doesn't usually sell without the help of radio or some other type of promotion. It's those promotional versions that you get used to hearing, and those are the ones I've always tried to collect. Why the record companies don't issue THOSE versions on the commercial singles is probably a better question.

I agree. I'd say that collecting commercially unavailable promo versions is my biggest collecting interest. Sometimes I'd luck out & there'd be extra copies around at stations I worked at (mostly weekends/PT), but not always. Promos are also in many cases the only way to get the hit version in stereo.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 October 2007 at 6:16pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Just wondering here, wouldn't it be nice if there was a website that exclusively sold promo 45's or CD singles.
It's be like Christmas year round!

There is a well known seller in Portland, OR that I've found does seem to have more promos than others, but they're not always inexpensive. But, that's what collecting is all about!

I know promos pop up on eBay, Musicstack and GEMM, but sometimes they're w-a-a-y overpriced. (e.g. The NIN promo CD single for $90.00!!)
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 November 2009 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

edtop40 wrote:
let me put my two cents in here.....i just went back and looked at my notes from reviewing the cassingle version to the version from the cd "home" and here's what we have.....the cassingle runs 4:36 and is identical to the hidden track 12 on the cd "home"....at the 2:45 mark both the hidden track and the cassingle have the "n" word INCLUDED........the only difference is that the hidden track starts off with 3 snare taps while the cassingle version has those edited out.....the desciption on the cassingles sleeve states "original mix" (4:37)......the cassingle also has on the "b" side the "album mix" of the song and it states the run time there is 4:17, although i have not confirmed that......

Thanks for this, Ed. Info regarding the commercial single version of "I Believe" was never incorporated into the database, so I thought I'd bring this back up in case the info was accidentally overlooked.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version