Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: I Just Can’t Stop Loving You spoken intro Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jebsib
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 June 2006 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote jebsib

Given the cringe-inducing vocals, I am almost embarrassed about this, but I really need a copy of the spoken intro version of Michael Jackson's “I Just Can't Stop Loving You” from the ‘Bad’ CD. The first week of its release, my local Top 40 station played it, and so in my mind it became the definitive version.

I understand from Brian W's thread that this version only exists on original UK CD copies; Any ideas on what the catalog number would be or any way to differentiate the original from subsequent pressings? Any help would be incredibly appreciated!
Back to Top View jebsib's Profile Search for other posts by jebsib

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 June 2006 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I think, though I'm not positive, that overseas copies never did replace the spoken intro version. (That doesn't apply to the Special Edition version.)

So what I'd recommend is find used copies in the UK on Ebay, then PM the seller and ask if the track has the spoken intro or not. That's how I got a copy again.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 June 2006 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

If it helps you to narrow down your choices, here is the info on my non-US "Bad" CD release whic does NOT have the spoken intro.

Catalog number: EPC 450290 2

Disc itself says Made in Austria.

Back insert states Printed in Holland, and in the all rights reserved section, it states "...In the UK apply for public performance licenses to PLL..."

Note: This edition has the Spanish version of the song as the lead track on the disc, although it is not noted on disc or inserts track listing, just a sticker on the front insert.

Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 June 2006 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

elcoleccionista wrote:
es to PLL..."

Note: This edition has the Spanish version of the song as the lead track on the disc, although it is not noted on disc or inserts track listing, just a sticker on the front insert.

Oh, really? Wow, what a cool item.

jebsib
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 June 2006 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote jebsib

Thank you so much - you guys are always VERY thorough; Much appreciated. I'll post back here when I get this elusive version!
Back to Top View jebsib's Profile Search for other posts by jebsib

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 June 2006 at 3:12am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

My copy with the spoken intro is actually not UK, it's Austrian. It's EPC 450290 2.

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 June 2006 at 4:23am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Brian, your has the same catalog number as mine, sounds like we have different pressings but same manufacture origin.

I bought it from a friend who was letting go of a lot of her CD's years ago. She bought it around 1992 as I can recall.

The sticker reads "BONO ESPECIAL: SELECCION EXTRA "Todo Mi Amor Eres Tu". Since in Spanish, I guess it was thought for Latin America distribution.

Edited by elcoleccionista on 08 June 2006 at 4:24am
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 June 2006 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

The original CD pressing of "Bad" contain the version of "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" with the spoken intro. The 2001 remaster uses the shorter version with the intro edited off. I used to own a copy of the promo CD single and it was the edited version.
Back to Top View Jeff H.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jeff H.

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 June 2006 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

jebsib wrote:
Given the cringe-inducing vocals...

Yes Jebsib! Jeez, all that wimpy whispering : P

Reminds me of his lines on the "Thriller" video:

"I was wondering if, ehem, ehem, you would be my girl" in that oh so fragile tone.

"I'm not like other guys" he informs her, and what an accurate premonition that would prove to be : p

Sorry, I had to.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 June 2006 at 12:41pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I do have the Spanish "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" on a promo hits sampler from '87, but I think it has since been issued on the Bad Special Edition.

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 June 2006 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Indeed Brian, I remember looking at the Special Edition's track listing and noticed it.

I didn't think the extra tracks worth buying it, even though these editions are mid priced.

I did get the "Thriller" one though at a bargain section, around US$4.

It sounds nice, but again the extras seemed rather uninteresting, I do recall finding the complete Vincent Price "rap" fun though.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 December 2007 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat, my commercial 45 for this does actually run (4:22), as you currently note in the database, but my 45 has a listed time of (4:17), not the (4:11) time currently notated in the database.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 December 2007 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

I have it on one of those Gold and Platinum discs released in the 80's.
I believe its volume 4.
Its been awhile, but didn't that disc come from Columbia House?
The line where he says "people misunderstand me" is so true.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 December 2010 at 12:59am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm guessing that it is an oversight in the database that three CDs are labeled "LP version." Given that the 45 and LP are the same, the designator should probably be removed for those discs.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Well I guess there is some doubt as to what is the 45 version and what is the LP version. My original "Bad" cd included the spoken introduction (US pressing) and the commercial 45 contains the spoken introduction but the cd version (US pressing) was quickly changed to eliminate the spoken introduction so I am guessing that the majority of the cd's pressed to date do not include the spoken introduction. With this in mind, perhaps we should take a poll on how may think the 45 version and LP version are the same.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

My vote is that they are the same. In every other case where the vinyl
LP contains something different from the CD counterpart, the CD gets
labeled as such. Case in point: Nightmare On My Street by Jazzy
Jeff/Fresh Prince. In that case, the full-length CD has the 45 version
while the vinyl LP has the LP version.

So the reason I'm voting that way is to keep consistency within the
database and to make it clearer for the reader. When I first looked at
the entry, it was confusing to read the song note and then see the LP
version comment. I had to go back and research whether there were
other differences besides the spoken intro that was warranting an LP
version comment.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Since the cd version (US pressing) was quickly changed to eliminate the spoken introduction, and the majority of CDs to date have the edited version, I feel the 2 versions are different and should be noted as such in the database.

There are certainly rare gray-area occasions like Whitney's "Greatest Love of All", when nearly a year after the album's release, the song was remixed (with elec piano) and released as a single and that version became the CD version. In that particular case, I felt the 2 versions should be listed as different versions (single version and album version) with the footnote that some CDs contain the "elec piano" single mix and others contain the "acoustic piano" album mix.

Though I almost always agree with Aaron, in this Michael Jackson case I feel the distinction should be noted as "single version" and "album version" with the footnote that the CD originally contained the "long version with spoken intro" for a short time.

As the board readers are often trying to find very distinct versions, I feel it's best for the database to note version distinctions (single vs. album) whenever possible, and then put footnotes that say, for instance, "early CDs contained the album version" or "early CDs contained the single version".

Though the Jazzy Jeff song may be listed otherwise, I don't think we need to use that example for all other gray-area releases such as this one.

Edited by EdisonLite on 19 December 2010 at 11:13am
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I probably could have done a better job of explaining myself.

I do agree that this can be somewhat gray area, especially when the switch happens while the album is still on the charts. The main problem I had with this particular entry is because when reading the song note, I couldn't be 100% sure that the 45 and LP are the same. It merely says that promo copies removed the spoken intro found on the commercial 45 and LP. Then, when I look at the entry for the "Bad" CDs, it says "LP version." So, then I was questioning whether there was another difference between the 45 and LP. It wasn't until I revisited this thread that I discovered there were no other differences.

Again, just for clarity, I'd vote for removing the LP version designator, since the non-spoken intro version never appeared on a commercial 45 copy.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

EdisonLite wrote:
Though the Jazzy Jeff song may be listed otherwise, I don't think we need to use that example for all other gray-area releases such as this one.

Actually, that probably wasn't the best example, but it was the only one I could think of that happened about the same time as the MJ song. In fact, the Jazzy Jeff example is the same as your Whitney Houston example. The 45 is a different version and was included on later pressings of the album (or in the case of Jazzy Jeff, CD pressings, which was released several months after the vinyl LP).

In the case of MJ, the 45 is the same as the LP, but they switched the LP and CD pressings with the PROMO version.

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 December 2010 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

jebsib wrote:
I understand from Brian W's thread that
this version only exists on original UK CD copies; ...

I do not have the disc on hand, but I ripped all of my CDs
to hard drives, and I just played it. I have an original
U.S. pressing made in Terre Haute, IN, and the disc does
have the spoken intro on the song.

Edited by The Hits Man on 24 December 2010 at 7:59pm

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version