Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Shania Twain singles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 March 2022 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Hmmm, here's a supposed rip of "Greatest Hits," which does have the version without the spoken intro but does have the steel guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlU9Kjg6WlE

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 March 2022 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

So, the plot thickens... I just checked the streaming version of Greatest Hits on Apple Music, and it too plays an edit of the original "country" version. (I used to have a download of the GH album, but I think it must
have been the import version, because it definitely contained the "pop" mix.) If I think about this long enough, it could change my mind about whether an edit of the LP version existed in 1997. One circumstantial reason being that, in
context, it doesn't seem that any of the other previously released songs on the GH album are newly created edits.

I agree with you that if there is an official "country" radio edit, it is likely on the HTF MNCD 198. Its relative scarcity compared to MNCD 196 would make sense if it it was only sent to country stations. I would like to believe that
the fact that there are only two cuts on the disc would indicate that the Track 1 "Radio Edit" is an edit of Track 2 ("LP Version"). But in the maddening tradition of the '90s, the record label apparently referred to the pop remix as
the "Radio Edit" on singles all over the world, and that has me in doubt about it.

We can say for sure that there has been a "country" edit in existence since the 2004 GH album, which is almost 20 years now (!), so you'd think that would be enough for me, LOL!

Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 March 2022 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yeah, it would be nice to find an actual copy of MNCD 198 to know for sure. If both country and top 40 stations received copies of MNCD 196, it makes me wonder why they would bother putting out MNCD 198, only to delete one track.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 March 2022 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Revisiting this thread got my head spinnin after all of these
years lol. Amazing the amount of versions released for these
2 songs.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

LunarLaugh
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 March 2022 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote LunarLaugh

Mutt Lange wanted his (then) wife to strike in as many
radio markets as possible so she got the full remix/edit
treatment previously only expected of pop stars.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 March 2022 at 1:38pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

A Discogs user was kind enough to send me a rip of MNCD 198, and it does indeed include the "country" radio edit that is also found on Shania's Greatest Hits CD. That means Pat will need to remove the "neither" comment and replace it with "dj edit" (or something similar).

MNCD 198
1. Radio Edit (listed 3:18; actual 3:17)
2. LP Version (listed 3:34; actual 3:35)

Again, this Radio Edit is a different mix from the one found on MNCD 196.

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 March 2022 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Thanks for getting confirmation on that, Aaron! Glad I turned out to be
wrong in this case.
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

VWestlife
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 October 2022 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote VWestlife

The "neither LP nor 45" Greatest Hits version of "That Don't Impress Me Much" is a longer version of "International Remix #1". Both fade at the end, but the Greatest Hits version plays longer before fading out.

The Promo Only Mainstream Radio series of discs released the Greatest Hits version on their February 1999 disc. Top Hits U.S.A. released International Remix #1 on T473 (February 26th, 1999), and previously the original Country version (which starts with a cowbell and steel guitar, and ends cold) on T461 (December 4th, 1998).
Back to Top View VWestlife's Profile Search for other posts by VWestlife Visit VWestlife's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 November 2022 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The version on Greatest Hits is technically an early fade of the Extended International Remix #3 on the promo CD single. The full length of this version is 4:39, and it has a very long, drawn out fade starting around 4:06. It's the same mix as International Remix #1 but with a longer ending/fade.

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 May 2023 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Returning to "That Don't Impress Me Much": it is noted way upthread that the "International Remix #2" from the U.S. pop promo single (and commercial U.S. CD and cassette singles) is the same as the country album version.
To clarify, "Remix #2" is actually an alternate remix first used on early international pressings of the Come on Over album. It is very similar to the country album/country hit version, but there are mix
differences, such as the addition of a synth(?) saxophone on top of the steel guitar in the intro.

In my understanding, the version history for this one goes something like this:
• Country album version, also country radio hit version (available on all pressings of the original "country" version of the album)
• "International Remix #2", aka first pop remix, aka first international album version, also serviced to pop & AC radio (on early international pressings of the album)
• "International Remix #1" aka second pop remix, aka pop album version, hit version (on later international pressings and U.S. "International Version" of the album from 1999)

(*and "International Remix #3", which is correctly noted above as being a longer fade of the hit "Remix #1", does appear on some interim international pressings of the CD from 1998, probably dating from a timeframe
between when the dance mix was created and when it was released as a single.)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version