Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Shania Twain singles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 February 2005 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I've noticed something in the 10th Edition regarding a few of the Shania Twain entries. The hits "You're Still the One", "From This Moment On", and "That Don't Impress Me Much" are all currently listed as (remixed) on the Come On Over International Version CD (Mercury 088170123). While they are indeed remixed, these versions were all released as commercial singles and played on Top 40 radio here in the U.S. Therefore, it would probably be more accurate to list the comment (45 version) next to "You're Still the One", "From This Moment On", and "That Don't Impress Me Much" on the Mercury 088170123 disc.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 February 2005 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

I have both the vinyl 45 and the cd single of "From This Moment On" and I can assure you they are not the version that appears on Come On Over - The International Version cd.

I'm still looking for the vinyl 45's of "You're Still The One" and "That Don't Impress Me Much".

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 February 2005 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I have the commercial cassette single for both "You're Still the One" and "That Don't Impress Me Much".

The "You're Still the One" single has the "Radio Edit w/ Intro" and runs 3:32. This is a different mix than the LP version mainly because there are no steel guitars.

The "That Don't Impress Me Much" single contains "Remix #1" (a.k.a. - the "dance mix edit") on the A-Side, which runs 3:58 and is a radically different mix than the LP version. This remix was the version played on Top 40 radio, while the LP version (which appears to be the cassette single's B-side, though it's listed as "Remix #2") was played often on Country and Adult Contemporary stations.

A commercial vinyl 45 does exist for "You're Still the One" and it has the same track listing and printed run times as the cassette single. I've seen a vinyl 45 for "That Don't Impress Me Much" available as a reissue, but I don't know if a commercial copy was ever released during the song's chart run.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 February 2005 at 6:50am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

My commercial CD single contains the same tracks - Remix #1, a "disco" remix running 3:59, and a 3:38 version called Remix #2 as the second track.

SOMEWHERE I have the commercial CD single for "You're Still the One," but I'm not seeing it at the moment. (I have GOT to get my CDs alphabetized again... but they never stay that way very long!)
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 February 2005 at 2:59am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I have the commerical CD single release of "You're Still The One" (Remixes). It contains the "Radio Edit W/Intro" and it's the same mix that Todd posted above (without the twangy guitars). The promo single also contained the "Radio Edit W/O Intro" which didn't have the talking at the beginning. That's the version I used to play on top 40 radio.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 February 2005 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

Aaron, regarding "You're Still The One" what is the running time of your promo cd single without the introduction as I suspect that is the version that is on the new "Greatest Hits" cd which runs 3:14 but has the steel guitars. Actually why don't you give me the complete timing information on the promo single so I can enter it in the book. Are the steel guitars on the "no intro" version on your promo single?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 February 2005 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat, unfortunately I don't own the promo single; I just played it a ton when it was popular. I can confirm, with 100% certainty (thanks to CD-R technology), that this version is called the "Radio Edit w/o Talk" and the exact run time is 3:16. I listened to it, and it's much less twangy than the LP version. The steel guitars are definitely missing from the version on the promo single...the short guitar solo is completely different, and there's no "twangy" guitars in the background during the second chorus.

The other version on the single ran 3:32 (but I can't confirm the time for certain) and was the same as the LP version, but without the steel guitars.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 February 2005 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I've come across a website that posts the following track listing and run times for the "You're Still the One" promo CD single:

(Mercury MNCD 196)
1) You're Still The One (Radio Edit) - 3:18
2) You're Still The One (Radio Edit w/ Intro) - 3:34
3) You're Still The One (LP Version) - 3:34

I don't have a copy of this promo CD yet, so I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the above info.

source:
http://users.ameritech.net/shaniafan/Singles.html

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 05 July 2010 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

It appears that the database is missing some info on Shania's hits.

"Whose Bed Have You Boots Been Under"
I have a radio compilation disc that labels the song "Edit" and runs 3:59.
This is most likely the version on "Greatest Hits."

"You're Still The One"
I have a radio compilation disc that labels the song "Radio Edit w/o Talk"
and runs 3:16. This is most likely the version on "Greatest Hits." Does
anyone have the actual promo to verify the proper name of this version?
Todd lists it simply as "Radio Edit" in the above post.

"From This Moment On"
This one is confusing, since there are many, many versions. My station
(and most top 40 stations) played the 3:42 version that does not have any
trace of Bryan White singing any vocals. My notes say that this is called
the "Solo Vocal/Remix," but perhaps some can verify that because...

There was another 3:42 version released on promo CD that DOES have
Bryan White as a guest vocalist. Does anyone know what this edit is
called? (When comparing notes between TM's database, wikipedia, and
discogs, none of the information seems to match up in terms of what each
version is labeled.)

Finally, the US CD single contains the "Pop Radio Mix" that is the same as
the "Greatest Hits" CD. It looks like this version runs about 3:55, but I
don't have the single to check.

"That Don't Impress Me Much"
The "Greatest Hits" version is currently labeled as "neither." Is this
perhaps the extended version that appears on the US promo CD? I don't
have either disc to provide details; I'm only going by track lists I found
online.

"Man I Feel Like A Woman"
The US promo CD lists a version called "Alternate Mix." Could this be the
same as the "International Version" CD?

I wish I could provide details of the actual discs, but hopefully someone
can help us out with that info.

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 06 July 2010 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Sorry to hijack this thread, but is anyone out there erudite enough in the English language to tell me if the song title "Whose Bed Has Your Boots Been Under" is functionally correct?

When the song was a hit I always thought "Who's Bed Has Your Boots Been Under" would have made more sense to me.

Feel free to PM me if you can enlighten me!

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

mstgator
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 July 2010 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote mstgator

"Whose" is correct for the possessive ("who's" is a contraction for "who is" or "who has").

My commercial CD single for "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under"/"Any Man Of Mine" features the 3:59 version of "Whose Bed" (labeled "Radio Version"), so that may be the same as what's on "Greatest Hits" and Aaron's disc (and would make it the 45 version?).

My promo CD for "From This Moment On" (MNCD 213 RE1) is labeled "Solo Vocal/Remix", has a listed time of 3:42 and runs 3:55. It has an add date sticker of 8/24. It does feature some backing vocals by Bryan White.

Edited by mstgator on 06 July 2010 at 7:04pm
Back to Top View mstgator's Profile Search for other posts by mstgator

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Online
Posted: 06 July 2010 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To 'mstgator':

Thanks for the English lesson!

After your response I did some additional research, and of course you are correct...

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

KentT
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 July 2010 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote KentT

A note! Most likely the commercial 45 singles bear the country mix due to many 45 jukeboxes still in use in country music heavy location use. If anyone can contradict this, please give examples of pop mixes being released on 45 singles.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 July 2010 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

mstgator wrote:
My promo CD for "From This Moment On" (MNCD 213 RE1) is labeled "Solo Vocal/Remix", has a listed time of 3:42 and runs 3:55. It has an add date sticker of 8/24. It does feature some backing vocals by Bryan White.

Thanks for that info! So, here's what I have been able to gather so far:

"Solo Vocal/Remix" (listed 3:42; actual 3:55) that has only background vocals by Bryan White.
Is this the single version also found on Greatest Hits?

3:42 (actual) version that has shared lead vocals with Bryan White. TM labels this "Single Mix."

3:42 (actual) version that has no vocals by Bryan White. Wikipedia article claims this to be called "The Single Mix," so one of the above two must be incorrect. This is the only version I remember hearing on the radio, but in light of the info by mstgator, I would imagine the 3:55 version also received significant airplay.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 July 2010 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

My copy of "From This Moment On" labeled "Solo Vocal/Remix" from Top Hits USA runs 3:42.

I found this on Wikipedia:
The original album version of "From This Moment On" included Bryan White as a guest singer. However, for release in Europe and to pop and AC stations in North America the song was rerecorded to have Twain singing all the vocals, and White singing only the backing vocals. This version is called 'The Right Mix', it is included on the International Version of Come on Over released in North America. 'The Single Mix' is a one-take recording of Shania singing "From This Moment On" with no backing vocals.

* Original Album Version* (4:43)
    * Original Album Version Radio Edit* (3:42)
    * International Version (4:39)
    * The Right Mix / North American International Version (4:51)
    * The Right Mix Radio Edit / Greatest Hits Version (3:55)
    * Dance Mix (6:22)
    * Tempo Mix (4:03)
    * The Single Mix (3:42)
    * Live from Dallas (4:15)
    * Live from Up! Close and Personal (4:07)

*With Bryan White.
[edit] Track listings
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 July 2010 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

John, I'm wondering if there might have been two promo CDs, both labeled "Solo Vocal/Remix." Mstgator's promo has an RE1 in the catalog number, so it's possible.

I just did a YouTube search and saw the music video for the first time. It's also the first time I've ever heard that 3:55 remix, which has added instrumentation when compared to the album mix. The 3:42 "solo vocal" version I have uses the same background track as the LP mix. I certainly don't ever recall hearing this "45 version" on the air in my area.

mstgator
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 July 2010 at 5:21pm | IP Logged Quote mstgator

Well... I should note that iTunes (or wherever it pulls track info from, Gracenotes?) tags the song on my promo as "The Right Mix", which would match the 3:55 version John listed. So it appears Mercury neglected to change the version name and listed time when they issued the RE1 promo.
Back to Top View mstgator's Profile Search for other posts by mstgator

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

And I think it's just labeled "Pop Radio Mix" on the US CD single. Can someone confirm?

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2010 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron, the only promo CD single I own for "From This Moment On" is exactly the same as Mstgator's is, right down to the affixed "Add Date 8/24" sticker. (**please note my corrected/updated post just below this one**)

Edited by jimct on 09 July 2010 at 10:58am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2010 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Oops! Aaron, when I was re-filing my other promo, I'd previously overlooked that just below it WAS another promo after all. I'd stored it in an un-labelled jewel case (always a bad idea!) It contains one track, is an officially-issued-by-Mercury, non-numbered CD-R, and has a paper Mercury label affixed to it. This version is titled the "Up-Tempo Mutt Lange Remix", has a listed time of (4:03), an actual time of (4:00), and stops/truncates the ending a bit before the audio had fully faded. Aaron, I will forward you a dub of this version ASAP, for your further analysis.

Edited by jimct on 09 July 2010 at 11:08am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version