Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Janet Jackson - "The Pleasure Principle" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 August 2006 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

aaron...are you talking about the 45 version or some other version....the 45 version is the same as the version from the cd control, i believe....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 August 2006 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

edtop40 wrote:
aaron...are you talking about the 45 version or some other version....the 45 version is the same as the version from the cd control, i believe....

You are correct that the vinyl 45 is the Control LP version. Jim and some others posted above that the DJ 45 and commerical cassette single contains the 7" Vocal version, which is a remix. I'm wondering if you can create this version by editing that extended remix.

Edited by aaronk on 20 August 2006 at 3:15pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 August 2006 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

aaronk wrote:
For anyone who is trying to create the true 45 version of "Nasty," I have a CD source where you can get the section you need: Control: The Remixes with the "Extended" mix of "Nasty."

At (3:43) is the section (without the "wind" sound effects) that can be inserted at the (2:38) mark of the 45 edit.   :)

My next question for Johann (or anyone who knows)---

Can you re-create the 7" vocal version of "Pleasure Principle" by editing the "Long Vocal Remix" on the German version of the above mentioned CD?

Thanks for that, Aaron!

Now... as far as I know, you can't create the 7" Vocal of "Pleasure Principle" from the Extended Vocal, but I'll admit I've never tried. You'd have to take the intro from the LP version, I believe, and dub her acapella "I promise, I'll be worth the wait" over that. I really should give it a go one of these days.

The 7" Vocal was the commercial 45 version in England. I wonder if that's ever turned up on a comp anywhere, considering our recent discoveries of the Madonna remix edits.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 August 2006 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Aaron, it is my understanding that the 7" Vocal cannot be recreated using the Long Vocal Remix, for starters because it begins with a fade in synth sound, similar to a piano sustain in reverse, that goes back "forward" with the first beat, and that part is absent on any part of the Extended Vocal. For the rest of the 7" Vocal, it could be edited down from the Long as far as I can tell.

The version that can be entirely recreated from the Long Vocal is the Video Mix, which is just an edit of it.

Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 August 2006 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Johann, thank you very much for the info! I'm going to try to obtain a copy of that import CD and the vinyl 7" vocal. I'll just dub any missing parts from the vinyl for my re-creation.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 August 2006 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Aaron, if you need a WAV of the Extended Vocal and have, say a Gmail account that can hold its size, all you need is ask : )
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Question for Jim or anyone else privy to promo 45 information for "The Pleasure Principle"... Do both sides of the promo 45 contain the 7" Vocal Version remix, or does one side feature an edit of the LP version? Currently, the database doesn't specify that DJ 45 copies contain the 7" Vocal Version.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 10:36pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

jimct wrote:
Both sides of my promo 45 claim to be "SIDE A-S", and have a listed (4:19), and actual (4:20) (7" vocal) on them. Deadwax A&M AM 02927-A-S ES1.

Based on this post by Jim, I'd say both sides are identical.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 4:22am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Interesting, because I never heard the 7" Vocal on the radio in Seattle. It was either the LP or LP edit. For some reason I was under the impression that the 7" Vocal had not been issued on a promo in the US.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Brian: We also got in the listed (4:58) on both sides DJ 45 for it. But the 7" vocal DJ 45 I referred to earlier WAS received by the station as well, and is currently a part of my collection.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 September 2006 at 1:27am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm just comparing the 7" Vocal with the Long Vocal Remix. As stated above, the intro of the 7" Vocal cannot be extracted from the Long Vocal Remix. This is the section from (0:00) to about (0:31), almost to where Janet starts singing the first verse.

There is one other section that cannot be extracted from the longer mix, too. It's from (2:49) to (3:10). There's a different chorus (just before the breakdown) that's nowhere to be found in the long version.

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 April 2007 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

I just wanted to add that the extended mix of "What Have You Done For Me Lately ends with an acapella echo, so replacing the end of the non-US Design Of A Decade edit with the end of the extended mix creates (to my ears) the correct 7" mix.
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 April 2007 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I've tried using the ending from the extended mix of "Lately," and they aren't quite the same. On the 45, there is an exhale breath over the last drum beat and keyboard note. On the extended mix, this breath is missing. Also, the echo on the 45 is smoother sounding. The echo on the extended mix sounds kind of choppy, like the beginning of the word "lately" is slightly cut off.

So, you can't exactly get the 45 version by pasting that section on.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 April 2007 at 3:55pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Underground Dub wrote:
the extended mix of "What Have You Done For Me Lately ends with an acapella echo, so replacing the end of the non-US Design Of A Decade edit with the end of the extended mix creates (to my ears) the correct 7" mix.

What's wrong with the non-US "Design of a Decade" version of "What Have You Done For Me Lately"? Is it not the correct 45 version? The breath over the last drumbeat is cerainly there.

Edited by Brian W. on 23 April 2007 at 3:56pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 April 2007 at 11:37pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

The version on that CD has the same ending as the LP version, so it must have been someone's attempt to recreate the 45 version (but you cannot edit the LP to make the 45). While the LP ending does have the breath, it also has a keyboard that echoes with the vocal. The 45 ending only has an echo on the vocal.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 December 2007 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

jimct wrote:
Brian: We also got in the listed (4:58) on both sides DJ 45 for it. But the 7" vocal DJ 45 I referred to earlier WAS received by the station as well, and is currently a part of my collection.
Pat, I am bumping this up, because the database currently states "DJ copies of this 45 run (4:20)". This is half true, as the listed (4:19), actual (4:20) "7" Remix" was on both sides of one of the TWO different promo 45s we got in for this song. The other promo 45 has the same listed (4:58), actual (4:57) version, on both sides, that appeared on the commercial 45.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2008 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Brian W. wrote:

I started a "Janet Jackson: The 45 Versions on CD" list about a year ago, then never posted it. I suppose I should finish it.

BRI-AN! BRI-AN! BRI-AN!... :D
Back to Top View Underground Dub's Profile Search for other posts by Underground Dub

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 April 2009 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Unbelievable, but I found the 7" Vocal of "Pleasure Principle" on CD! It was issued in 1987 on a Holland-only CD compilation called "The Hit Academy." I just got it online from a used CD shop in Germany for about ten bucks. Strangely, the artwork lists the running time of the track as 4:58, which is the time for the album version. But, nope, it's the 7" Vocal remix.

I'll send out more information on it via private email later tonight.

Edited by Brian W. on 15 April 2009 at 10:45am

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 April 2009 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Jim:

Which version of "Pleasure Principle" did your station play?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Underground Dub
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 April 2009 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote Underground Dub

Thank you so much for this! :O

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version