Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Janet Jackson - "The Pleasure Principle" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 June 2006 at 1:55am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Both sides of my promo 45 claim to be "SIDE A-S", and have a listed (4:19), and actual (4:20) (7" vocal) on them. Deadwax A&M AM 02927-A-S ES1.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 7:57am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Aha! I knew there had to be a shorter version of this one. Good work, Jim!
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I don't have access to my CD library at the moment, but does the 4:20 DJ edit appear on the Janet Jackson import CD Control: The Remixes?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Todd, the 7" vocal (Shep Pettibone remix) is not available on any of the "Control: The Remixes" remix albums. Not the UK, German or the Japan "More Control" CD.

In fact, "Pleasure Principle" is only included on the German version, in its "Long Vocal Remix" and "Dub Edit" versions.

I have the 7" vocal on the commercial USA 12" single (I much prefer the video version, it preserves some of the "hot" moments of the "Long vocal" mix).

Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

The UK version of the 1995 greatest hits cd (Design of a decade) has a 4:13 version
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

That is an edit of the "Control" album version.
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Yes, I have searched high and low and high again, but the 7" Vocal remix of "Pleasure Principle" has never to my knowledge been released on CD.

An edit of the LP Version (probably the DJ edit) is indeed on the UK edition of Design of a Decade, as are the 45 versions of Nasty and What Have You Done for Me Lately.

The commercial 45 version of Let's Wait Awhile was a remix and is available on the import "Control: The Remixes."

I don't know that the exact 45 version of Miss You Much has ever been issued on a full-length CD. Design of a Decade cuts the "buzzing" intro, and the LP version has her speaking over that part, whereas the 45 has just the "buzzing." Of course there are several CD singles from several countries, including the US, that do use the 45 version.

I started a "Janet Jackson: The 45 Versions on CD" list about a year ago, then never posted it. I suppose I should finish it.

Edited by Brian W. on 01 June 2006 at 12:12pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

BTW, the all cassette single issues I've seen of Pleasure Principle use the 7" Vocal remix. All vinyl 45s I've seen use the full-length album version.

Anyone know if there were multiple 45/cassette single releases, as we've been finding for other artists lately?

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

[QUOTE=Brian W.]

An edit of the LP Version (probably the DJ edit) is indeed on the UK edition of Design of a Decade, as are the 45 versions of Nasty and What Have You Done for Me Lately.

The commercial 45 version of Let's Wait Awhile was a remix and is available on the import "Control: The Remixes."

QUOTE]

Brian, since you mention 45 versions from the "Control" album included on the UK "Design Of A Decade", I'd like to add the single "Control", also included in its original 45 version.

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

I'd like to note that there are two different import "Control-The Remixes" releases, with different artwork and track listing.

A third remix album was released in Japan called "More Control". Here are the details for each:

Control-The Remixes (front artwork from "When I Think Of You" single)
(396 924-2)
Made and printed in West Germany

1.Control (Video Mix)
2.Nasty (Extended)
3.Nasty (Cool Summer Mix-Part 1)
4.What Have You Done For Me Lately (Extended Mix)
5.When I Think Of You (Extra Beats)
6.When I Think Of You (Dance Remix)
7.Control (Acappella)
8.Let's Wait Awhile (Remix)

Control-The Remixes (front photograph taken from the back of "Pleasure Principle" single cover)
UK: CDMID 149, Intl: 396 942-2
Disc itself says made in England, back insert states "CD is made in West Germany"...

1.Control (The Video Mix)
2.When I Think Of You (Dance Remix)
3.The Pleasure Principle (Long Vocal Remix)
4.What Have You Done For Me Lately (Extended Mix)
5.Nasty (Cool Summer Mix-Part Two)
6.Let's Wait Awhile (Remix)
7.Nasty (Cool Summer Mix-Part One)
8. The Pleasure Principle (Dub Edit)

More Control (front artwork similar to "Control" album cover, different background and lettering)
D32Y3148
Made in Japan

1.What Have You Done For Me Lately (Extended Mix)
2.Nasty (Extended Mix)
3.When I Think Of You (Dance Remix)
4.Control (Extended Version)
5.What Have You Done For Me Lately (Dub Version)
6.Nasty (Cool Summer Mix-Part Two)
7.When I Think Of You (Instrumental)
8.Control (Video Mix)
9.Let's Wait Awhile

(track 9 is the remix, even though it is not noted)

Each of these releses has versions unique to them, that is why I bought all three. I am a big fan of Jam & Lewis : )

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

elcoleccionista wrote:
I'd like to add the single "Control", also included in its original 45 version.

Actually, no, it's not. That little sound on the intro is not on the US 45 version, and the 45 version has the a stronger sound on the first note, sort of a burst of sound, almost like an explosion. The true US 45 version has only been issued on Time-Life "Legends: Livin' on a Prayer" and the OOP Time-Life box set "Gold and Platinum: The Ultimate Rock Collection."

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Brian, you are right! I just checked a Janet "A&M Memories" 7 inch single I have had for years and noticed the difference. I was about to give it away, thanks! : )

Edited by elcoleccionista on 01 June 2006 at 9:40pm

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Are the 45 versions of "Nasty" and "What Have You Done for Me Lately" edits of their respective LP versions or different mixes?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

As far as I can tell they are simply edits. Brian?

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 June 2006 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I believe they're just edits. And of course the fade-out of "What Have You Done for Me Lately" extends a second or two longer, but I think it does on the the US LP-length "Design of a Decade" as well. It's truncated on the LP version as it slams right into the next track with no pause.

There WAS a remix/edit of "Nasty" that's was on a reissue cassette single, but I've never heard it, just saw it in the store.

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 June 2006 at 12:58am | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Brian, sounds like I may have the vinyl version of that reissue cassette single.

The 45's catalog number is AM-8676. Side A "Nasty" (Remix), Side B "Pleasure Principle".

Now, I hadn't listened to this 45 in probably 15 years, as well as the other one with the original "Control" 45 version that you noted, guess I unknowingly took both for granted:

I always thought "Nasty" was incorrectly labeled "Remix" since it seemed like simply an edit of the album version.

But upon close listening just now, I did found one part which can not be recreated by editing the album version, so only for that it actually is a remix I guess.

At 2:38 when she finishes the third chorus "...oh you nasty boys" on both album, extended and UK "Greatest Hits" version, there is a sound, sort of a brief "wind effect" on one of the channels only.

That sound is not present on the version from the reissue 45 single.

Since the other reissue 7" I have (AM-8673) does include the original 45 version of "Control" that you noted, it would make sense if "Nasty", were presented in its original 45 version on AM-8676.

Does anyone have an original issue of the "Nasty" 45 single to confirm this?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 June 2006 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Brian W. wrote:
And of course the fade-out of "What Have You Done for Me Lately" extends a second or two longer, but I think it does on the the US LP-length "Design of a Decade" as well.

Not only is the ending extended when compared to the LP version, but there's also a slight mix difference on the 45. On the LP version, the keyboard in the background echoes with the vocal; on the 45 it does not. Ed pointed out this difference to me, which I had not noticed.

Now, I also have a dub of a 45 for "Control." As far as I can tell, it is simply an edit of the LP version. I think this dub is from a DJ 45. That may be the difference between what you're hearing on the commercial release, and what I'm hearing on this 45.

Brian, I'll let you decide if what I have matches the 45 version you're referencing.

Edited by aaronk on 03 June 2006 at 3:12pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Paul Esch
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 June 2006 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote Paul Esch

My original 45 of "Nasty" (A&M 2830) does not have that sound at
the 2:38 mark. So is the US commercial 45 version available on any
CD (domestic or import)?

Edited by Paul Esch on 03 June 2006 at 7:05am
Back to Top View Paul Esch's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Esch

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 June 2006 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as a&m 2830 is identical to the import cd version from "design of a decade" and runs 3:45....i don't hear what you all are hearin'....sorry....

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 June 2006 at 7:54pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Ed, do you have the "Nasty" album version handy? If so, check at 2:57, see if you detect the effect there.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version