Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Eddie Holman - "Hey There Lonely Girl" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 May 2006 at 10:43pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Asked my "digital editor" buddy a while back to make me a "true 45 version" on this. He reported back, saying it COULDN'T be done. His wave file matchup indicated a different vocal take on the 45 than the one found on the furnished CD. Although my promo 45 says (3:01), the actual running time is (3:19), with the final audible lyric being, "Can't you see that I love you." There are a couple of recent (3:17)-ish V/A releases where Pat indicates "45 version." I don't have them, so I can't tell if they may actual be the "true" 45 version. But, although the "On The Radio" piece does correctly simulate an early edit, my expert said that they STILL used the incorrect vocal take, and, at (3:11), how can it possibly be the correct (3:19) 45 version?
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 May 2006 at 11:33pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm not familiar with the different versions of this one; however, I have it on the 70s Soul Box Can You Dig It?, and the run time is (3:17). Perhaps they got it right on that one.

Edited by aaronk on 30 May 2006 at 11:33pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 May 2006 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Jim I have heard the same comment that you just mentioned regarding the 45 vocal take being different than the LP vocal take. I have listened to the two side by side numerous times and I do not hear any vocal differences. Can anyone that has detected a vocal difference step forward and point out some key words that might be sung differently?

I did time my dj copy and got a running time of (3:18) so rather than enter any time differences by each cd listing, I just left the timing comment under the song title.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 May 2006 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat: I apologize for hitting an "open wound." Nothing's worse than "uncredited reliable sources." I dove in on this one - I wanna know, too. I picked apart the vocal, as you have repeatedly done. The only time is heard a possible vocal difference is at :36, on the "I Love You" CD vs the promo 45 (all timings I will furnish are CD times) - the word "Lonely" sounds smooth on the CD, but Eddie seems to do more of a voice-cracking, low-then-high "Lonely" on the 45. That's all I have vocally, but there were a half dozen cases where BARELY audible instruments on the stereo mix were WAY up on the 45. Louder guitars at 1:32 and 1:46, louder piano crescendos at 2:26 and 3:01. More prevalent guitar and piano at 3:18, and at least :07 of noticable echo not found at all on the CD sounds to me like it was added to the last, long-held "you" Eddie that sings, and holds, at the very end. It's just that when a source has been right on 45-issue after 45-issue as often as my digital-guy Bob, he builds up MUCH credibility with me, that's all. I don't bring "hearsay" to the Board. The only song in your book that EVER stumped him was "Patches." Neither he nor I never ever figured out the 45/LP difference, to this day.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 May 2006 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Pat,

As a result of this thread, I suggest you change the appearance of the song on "Collector's Essentials: The Original Hit Singles On The Radio Vol. 4" to something like "fades :07 earlier than 45 edit" as it does indeed do that.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 May 2006 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

David, as I said a few posts above this one, I added a comment by the song title indicating the running time of the 45. Anyone can do the subtraction to find out exactly how many seconds a given appearance deviates from the vinyl 45 running time.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 June 2006 at 6:11am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I synched up the 45 to the I Love You CD and the Vintage Music CD.

The vocal totally phased through the whole thing, meaning the vocal was identical. There was no point where the vocal was different, except as Pat notes at around 3:00, but it's a very small difference and is not due to a different take, it sounds like that's where they made the second edit in the song for the 45 version. Right at the end of his note.

Since others have mentioned there may be a difference on this track to Pat in the past, so there might be a different vocal floating out there on some CD.. it just didn't sound different on the two CDs I tested.

Bill
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 August 2012 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just compared the so-called 45 versions on the Dick Bartley CD vs. the Can You Dig It Box set. One of them must be wrong, because the intros are edited differently. If you listen to the hi-hat in the left channel, it is different between the two, especially noticeable between :03 and :06.

Obviously they are both custom edits, and I'm curious to know which one, if any, is correct. The other edit toward the end seems to be the same on both versions.

(Edit: I have a 45 copy, and I will post my findings shortly.)

Edited by aaronk on 21 August 2012 at 1:25pm

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 August 2012 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

And the winner is....NEITHER! Both discs have BOTH edit points incorrect. The 45 simply cuts off the first 7.3 seconds of the LP version. Also, the edit just before the fadeout is wrong on the discs, and you can tell by the bassline. As he is finishing his drawn out "yooouuuu" at about 3:02, the bassline of the actual 45 has one long note and one short note. The incorrect edit has 3 shorter bass notes that follow.

Pat, you will have to update the database to indicate "neither" for the Bartley and Can You Dig It CDs.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 August 2012 at 6:32pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

So the 45 can be successfully edited from the LP version then, Aaron?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 August 2012 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

You can edit the LP to match the edit points of the 45, but the 45 is a dedicated mono mix. Nothing seems to be missing from the stereo version, though.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version