Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: OT: Mary Jane Girls - All Night Long 45 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 April 2024 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

I had thought the details for this 45 were mentioned in another thread somewhere, but I couldn't find it, so bringing up a couple of questions. Not a Top 40 hit, but made both the UK Top 20 and the Billboard
R&B Single Top 20, and has of course grown in popularity over the years due to Rick James' resurgent popularity, its usage in the Grand Theft Auto video game, being sampled in a zillion other songs, etc.

I am curious about the original 45 edit(s?) for this one. This song is an odd duck all over the place: regarding the long LP/12" Single Version, there is a significant speed difference between the initial 1983
releases of the song and all the subsequent reissues. It sounds like the song was sped up on the original LP, and then for whatever reason, returned to its natural "recorded" speed on all the Mary Jane Girls'
hits discs. The sped up LP Version runs about 5:33 and the slower transfer goes to about 5:44.

So, the question is about 45 edits. I read once that the UK and US 45's were different to one another, but I don't know how true that is given that I have not come across any proof of the U.S. 45 on Youtube,
etc. The UK 45 has been issued on the import Motown Hits of Gold Vol. 8 from 1989, and sounds to me like an edit of the sped-up LP version. This edit runs 3:51 and has two edits (one in the intro
before the bass and keys come in, and one that cuts out 8 measures around the 3:20 mark) and an early fade.

Does anyone have details on the U.S. 45, specifically, whether the same edit was used here as in the UK? And does it run at the original "fast" LP speed or what has become by now the common slower speed?

(For full disclosure: I read or heard somewhere, years ago, that the U.S. 45 was simply an early fade of the long version, but I don't know how reliable that info. is, as I can't seem to trace back to wherever
I read it originally!)
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 April 2024 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

I have to check my files but I have the 45 version of this song since it is one of my favorites. Didn't it bubble under?

Give me a little to check what I have and the source it came from. Thanks.

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 April 2024 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Thanks! I think you're right, actually, about the Bubbling Under -- that's if Wikipedia can be trusted. Unfortunately, the last time things were bubbling
under, I was changing out a hard drive and I may have lost the rip somewhere if I had it :/

Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 April 2024 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Just to summarize findings: we were able to check out the U.S. 45 version. It is a simple early fade of the long version, ending 3:53 (two seconds
shy of the printed 3:55 runtime), and unlike the UK 45, runs at the slower, natural speed.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version