Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: OT: Men Without Hats’ Other 83-84 Singles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 February 2024 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Hi All,

Hope someone may be able to provide some info. on the single edits on either of the direct follow-up singles to "The Safety Dance", "I Like" (#84 Hot 100) and "I
Got the Message" (Did Not Chart). Both singles had 45 versions that did not match the Rhythm of Youth album versions. According to their respective
printed run times, "I Like" ran 3:22 and the 'Short Message' version of
"I Got the Message was 3:30 in length". (I am making an assumption here
that the shorter version of "Message" on the promo 12" is the same as the A-side of the commercial and promo 45's, but I could be wrong of course as I own none
of them.)

Does anyone have knowledge of how to perform the edits to recreate these singles, as the handful of times that either have turned up on CD, they appear to always
be the album and/or 12" versions?

I have working copies for both edits that I made based on their music videos as found on Youtube:
• The video for "I Like" got a wide release and is posted on
Youtube
a couple of times: its runtime is spot on
with the stated 3:22 length of the 45, so I have done a recreation of this version for my library-- but as we all know, sometimes the video edit differed from
the actual 45/radio version for whatever reason. Still, I feel pretty good about this matching the 45 even absent of absolute confirmation.
• The video for "I Got the Message"
(which apparently didn't make it to MTV and is kind of objectively terrible?) is more of a headscratcher, as it's notably shorter than the stated length of the
single releases (video runs about 3:07). Also, the audio in the video has a couple of less than stellar edits, which has me thinking it may have been hacked up
just for the video. But with nothing else to go on, I made a recreation of this edit but faded about 20 seconds later to match the stated time of the single
version. An absolute guess on my part, but the final version does sound pretty good. I don't have any big qualms in using it, but would like to know how off it
is from the actual edit.

Anybody have these 45's (or promo 12") lying around and can verify/provide any details?
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 February 2024 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Hey folks, a forum member has been able to help me track these down!
Thanks to all :-)
Back to Top View EternalStatic's Profile Search for other posts by EternalStatic

EternalStatic
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 February 2024 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote EternalStatic

Final assessment if anyone’s interested-
“I Like” 45 does match its music video, and the ‘Short Message’ version of
“I Got the Message” matches its video as well except that the video fades
sooner than the 45, and the remainder of the 45 after the video fade point
involves an out-of-sequence edit that cuts back to the first chorus to
extend the final chorus by one line just before the 45 fade point. It doesn’t
sound bad, but a bit unnecessary.

Thanks again for the review copies, folks!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version