Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: O/T: All in the Family Closing Theme Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 24 January 2024 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

This was a #31 AC charter in 1972 - the closing theme to
"All in the Family": "Remembering You" by Roger Kellaway. I
have the 30-second snippet from end of the TV show. But
does anyone have this 45, which is significantly longer
than the 30-second snippet?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 January 2024 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Now that this topic has been brought up has anyone seen on CD the longer Atlantic 45 version of the "Those Were The Days" sung by Carroll and Jean?

One side of the 45 had an orchestrated version that ran 2:29 (never heard on the television show). That is the one I'm looking for.

The shorter version on the flip side of the 45 runs 1.27 and has appeared on several CDs.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 January 2024 at 2:15am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Wow, talk about a nostalgic trip down Memory Lane, Gordon! I always enjoyed listening to the closing theme to All in the Family, and used to sit and watch the show's ending credits until the screen went black, in hopes that maybe one day I'd get lucky and hear the song play all the way through in its entirety. Never happened, of course!

I'm just amazed at all the stuff that used to get released on vinyl 45 back in the day! And now that I know the song title ("Remembering You") and the artist (Roger Kellaway), I did some research online to see if the song has ever been made available on CD. Well, it turns out that you can purchase it as a lossless download, supposedly in "CD quality", on the Qobuz website. The link is below:

[LINK HAS BEEN REMOVED FOR REASONS CITED IN MY NEXT POST.]

I have not yet purchased the track, but will do so once I think of some other tracks that I also want to buy. However, I have listened to a 30-second preview of the song, based on how it appears on the accompanying digital album on Qobuz, and unfortunately, it doesn't sound promising. To my ears, the audio sample sounds quite harsh, like it may have been mastered with very "hot" and compressed audio levels. I'm hoping the audio sample is not indicative of the track's actual sound quality, but it probably is. :-(

Meanwhile, since we're on the subject of classic TV shows, some forum members may be interested to know that the Qobuz and 7digital sites also recently released a digital album called It's Such a Good Feeling: The Best of Mister Rogers. I've purchased several of the most classic tracks from the album that I fondly remember hearing Fred Rogers sing when I watched his TV show as a small child, including "Won't You Be My Neighbor", "Today Is a Very Special Day", and "It's Such a Good Feeling". The sound quality is quite impressive, too, so I'm thinking that the songs may have been sourced from first generation master tapes!

Edited by Todd Ireland on 28 January 2024 at 12:12pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 January 2024 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

WARNING: **DO NOT** buy the digital download of Roger Kellaway's "Remembering You" on the Qobuz website at the link I provided in my previous post, unless you want a very poor dub of the song from a badly scratched or damaged CD! I kid you not! I can't believe that any retail site would actually permit something so horribly mastered to be sold for money! The track literally skips around and even "hiccups" like it was ripped from a disc in which the CD player's laser was mistracking! In fact, someone has actually posted "Remembering You" on YouTube exactly as it appears on Kellaway's Solo Piano digital album, so you can hear this disaster for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdvpEP9atpA

This is completely unacceptable, pure and simple. Even though the track only cost me $1.39, I'm still going to submit a complaint to Qobuz and encourage them to remove the Roger Kellaway Solo Piano digital album from its retail site until they either repair the "Remembering You" track or replace it with a better sounding audio file. Wow, unreal!

Edited by Todd Ireland on 28 January 2024 at 12:10pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 January 2024 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

Yeah, I listened up to 0:25 where it skips! It's amazing how much crap gets out
there. Good thing we have this group to comment on it and perhaps do
something about it.

As did Todd, I used to listen all the way to the end of the credits to see if there
was more to the song! Glad to have this brought up on the board.

There is actually a dub of the 45 on YouTube as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcdSVdZQ0oY

Edited by davidclark on 28 January 2024 at 7:17pm

VWestlife
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 January 2024 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote VWestlife

That video was auto-generated by YouTube based on the reference file that The Orchard provided to enter that track into the Content ID copyright system. And it's not even as bad as some I've heard, which were auto-generated from a dub of a vinyl record being played off-pitch and in mono, when the original recording was in stereo.

For example, the auto-generated copy of Shot in the Dark - "Playing with Lightning" (Al Stewart's band; their one and only hit from their one and only album, which has never been officially re-released in digital form): Playing with Lightning

And here's how it's supposed to sound, being played at the correct pitch and in stereo:
Shot In The Dark - Playing With Lightning

Edited by VWestlife on 28 January 2024 at 9:29pm
Back to Top View VWestlife's Profile Search for other posts by VWestlife Visit VWestlife's Homepage

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2024 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

VWestlife, when you indicate "the original recording was in stereo", are you
referring to Roger Kellaway - Remembering You? If so, have you ever heard it in
stereo, and from where/what release? thanks.

LunarLaugh
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 January 2024 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote LunarLaugh

I think VWestlife was using the mention of stereo for examples of bad vinyl dubs and not directly referring "Remembering You".

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version