Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: 38 special "teacher teacher" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 02 February 2007 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

pat

the 45's face states the run time as 3:19 and it actually does run 3:19....but...all the cds state times ranging from 3:11 to 3:15...the longest version is the version from the teachers soundtrack which i have.....and that version is 0:05 SHORTER than the 45's run time....this info should be noted in the db...

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 December 2008 at 12:51am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Does anyone have the Teachers soundtrack on vinyl LP who can verify the actual run time of "Teacher Teacher" on it? I ask because run times can differ between a vinyl release and its CD counterpart. And since the Teachers soundtrack was released in 1985, the song's vinyl LP time should probably be noted here since vinyl LPs were still the most dominant selling recording format at that time. (CD sales didn't officially overtake vinyl sales until 1988.)
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 December 2008 at 1:38am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Todd Ireland wrote:
And since the Teachers soundtrack was released in 1985, the song's vinyl LP time should probably be noted here since vinyl LPs were still the most dominant selling recording format at that time. (CD sales didn't officially overtake vinyl sales until 1988.)

Sorry, Todd, but the fact is, the CASSETTE was the #1-selling album format here in the U.S. for nine years, from 1983-91. Yes, CDs passed vinyl in '88, but they didn't overtake cassettes till '92! The "Teachers" soundtrack actually sold more copies in the tape format (by far) than any other. (And yes, I have that one on cassette!)

I've asked this here before: Why do so many people see music as existing in only TWO formats (i.e., vinyl & CD)??? Am I the only one here who's also heard of (and owns) cassettes, 8-tracks, 4-tracks, reel-to-reels, etc.??? Heck, I've even gotten a lot of my cassettes and even a couple of my 8-tracks autographed! :-)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 December 2008 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I used to buy a lot of my music on cassettes, just because they were cheaper than CDs. It was probably around 1992 when I started buying some of my music on CDs. For full-length albums, I probably purchased mostly vinyl up until about 1985, mostly cassettes from '85 until about 1993, and after about 1994, I never purchased another cassette again.

For singles, I had very few cassette singles in my collection. I generally purchased vinyl until 45s started disappearing, and I started collecting CD singles more heavily in 1993 or so.

To answer your question, though, I don't think people only talk about vinyl and CDs on this board. One of our biggest contributors, edtop40, has posted hundreds of run times for his cassette singles. I think we generally talk about vinyl and CDs the most, because overall they are by far the two most popular formats in the history of music collecting. Although cassettes had a run of popularity in the '80s and early '90s, vinyl had been dominant for several decades prior. Also, the CD has been dominant ever since 1992, as you pointed out.

Other than cassettes, though, no other formats really became that popular, did they? I mean, my dad had a handful of 8-tracks from the 70s, but they were one of the worst formats ever to emerge. What other formats of music did you (or others here) collect? I'm assuming consumer reel-to-reel tape wasn't as good as what the recording industry or even broadcast industry used, just because of the slower speed.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 December 2008 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

80smusicfreak wrote:
Todd Ireland wrote:
And since the Teachers soundtrack was released in 1985, the song's vinyl LP time should probably be noted here since vinyl LPs were still the most dominant selling recording format at that time. (CD sales didn't officially overtake vinyl sales until 1988.)

Sorry, Todd, but the fact is, the CASSETTE was the #1-selling album format here in the U.S. for nine years, from 1983-91. Yes, CDs passed vinyl in '88, but they didn't overtake cassettes till '92! The "Teachers" soundtrack actually sold more copies in the tape format (by far) than any other. (And yes, I have that one on cassette!)

I've asked this here before: Why do so many people see music as existing in only TWO formats (i.e., vinyl & CD)??? Am I the only one here who's also heard of (and owns) cassettes, 8-tracks, 4-tracks, reel-to-reels, etc.??? Heck, I've even gotten a lot of my cassettes and even a couple of my 8-tracks autographed! :-)

Funny, I had a feeling this was going to come up...

Look, I once owned a bunch of cassettes and even a few 8-tracks so I'm more than aware they existed. But let's face it... These physical formats have not held up particularly well over time for most consumers (i.e. - tapes get chewed up, worn out, broken, melted in a hot car, lost, etc.) and there are probably a host of other reasons why they are simply of little interest to most music collectors, who make up the bulk of this website's audience. (Just curious... Has anyone here ever attended a cassette tape or 8-track convention?) :-)

If we're talking strictly sales numbers here, then technically you're correct... Cassettes did outsell vinyl and CDs for a period of time. So I guess the question is, should we start incorporating more cassette album info into the database from 1983-1991? Hey, I've always been a staunch proponent of being as historically accurate as possible and I'd have nothing against such database notations. But then again, is there really enough general interest in cassette and 8-track tapes out there to warrant the inclusion of such info? Just asking. :-)

Edited by Todd Ireland on 24 December 2008 at 11:57am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 24 December 2008 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Todd Ireland wrote:
...should we start incorporating more cassette album info into the database from 1983-1991?

Would this info really be useful? I would think that there would be far fewer cases where LP versions would differ between cassette & LP or cassette & CD. It tends to be more the single versions that have varied widely, which is why having the cassette single information is helpful. I certainly wouldn't go to any great lengths to start timing and checking cassette LP versions.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 December 2008 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I'm with you, Aaron. First off, it's been documented elsewhere on this message board how difficult it can be to accurately determine the run time on cassettes due to calibration issues from tape deck to tape deck, not to mention the elasticity problem inherent in magnetic tape which can affect timing accuracy. And since albums were generally pressed and released on vinyl and cassette at the same time, I would think both would share the same master tape source and therefore should theoretically be identical in every way. Thus, I'm more in favor of just simply focusing on timing the vinyl LPs when necessary.

CDs released from 1982-1987 on the other hand might be a little different. I can remember during that time period when an album's CD release was often delayed many months or even years after its initial vinyl and cassette release. That said, I've wondered if those delayed CD releases utilized the same production masters as their initial vinyl and cassette counterparts, or if the CDs were remastered separately to maximize the enhanced sound quality of the new digital medium and therefore some of the tracks may have contained slightly different fades and run times compared to the LP and cassette. I think there might have been a few cases documented on this board where a Top 40 hit released on CD from 1982-1987 had a slightly different run time length than on its vinyl LP counterpart, though I can't recall any specific examples off the top of my head. At any rate, I'm inquiring about vinyl LP vs. CD run times for songs like "Teacher Teacher" to make certain no such signficant timing discrepencies exist between the two formats.

Can anyone with a more specialized knowledge of the recording industry's vinyl/cassette/CD mastering and pressing protocol back in 1982-1987 help shed some light on how exactly this whole process worked? (MCT1?)

Edited by Todd Ireland on 24 December 2008 at 12:05pm

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 December 2008 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

I really didn't mind the cassette format for full length albums.
But I always thought that the cassette single format tapes were poor quality.
Its truly a shame that this lousy format was accepted by the public at that time.
We live in a "gotta have it now" world and that satisfied those who couldn't wait for a turntable at home.
My brother has over 100 cassette singles that I would rather own on vinyl any day.

I do have "Teachers" on cassette by the way.
Not a bad soundtrack and loved Richard Mulligan in the movie.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 December 2008 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

I'll agree with Todd on this one. While the cassette was a portable medium, and with walkman-style music players all the rage I'm not surprised cassettes sold well. I'm surprised to see so many of the members of this board who were cassette collectors. To me they were basically junk and the few that I own were songs that weren't available as singles any other way (mostly early-90s when the stations I worked for were either oldies or didn't get much in the way of music service).

This could be a whole separate thread, but the demise of vinyl marked the beginning of the end of music collecting per se. CDs carry on somewhat, but I don't get nearly as excited about getting a new CD as I once did when getting a new record. With most music distributed as digital files today, it pretty much marks the end of a hobby (at least as far as contemporary music goes).

Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 December 2008 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Hykker wrote:
...the demise of vinyl marked the beginning of the end of music collecting per se. CDs carry on somewhat, but I don't get nearly as excited about getting a new CD as I once did when getting a new record. With most music distributed as digital files today, it pretty much marks the end of a hobby (at least as far as contemporary music goes).

Actually, I didn't really start growing my music collection until CDs became popular. I agree with you wholeheartedly, though, that as soon as there is no longer a physical medium to purchase, there will be no more music collectors like us. This is really sad to me, because collecting digital music is like collecting jpgs of your favorite artwork. What art collector is going to give a rip about having a jpg of the Mona Lisa?

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2008 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Getting back to my original question... Does anyone have the Teachers soundtrack on vinyl LP who can verify the actual run time of "Teacher Teacher" on it?

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 September 2012 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote abagon

Todd Ireland wrote:
Getting back to my original question... Does anyone have the Teachers soundtrack on vinyl LP who can verify the actual run time of "Teacher Teacher" on it?

The actual OST "Teachers" vinyl LP running time is (3:14), also the listed time is the same. (Capitol SV-12371)

--abagon
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2012 at 6:09am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks, Abagon! So at long last, it's official... The 45 length is 3:19, while the LP length is 3:14. Unfortunately for completists and sticklers (like myself), this means that all but one CD appearance of "Teacher Teacher" to date runs shorter than either length.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version