Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Bette Midler - "Wind Beneath My Wings" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 October 2007 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Was there a short edit on a promo CD single or promo 45?

The album version and commercial 45 run 4:54, but my radio-only collection The "A"-List has an edit that runs about 4:17. This edited version is the same as the LP version until 3:17, then shortens the ending with a few edits.

Such a short edit would have been handy back in the day when I had to play this at every single wedding I DJed; I'm now scarred for life...
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 08 October 2007 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, there is a promo 45 for this one. The 4:17 run time sounds about right. I don't have mine handy right now, but you are correct about the ending being shortened.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2007 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Crap:

I still play this song at weddings, luckily I have an edit on a TM Century collection... :)
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2007 at 6:19pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

While we're on the subject, in the database there is an entry for this song running 4:19 from Atlantic Records: 50 Years - The Gold Anniversary Collection. Should this be labeled as the DJ edit?

Also, never noticed it til now, is it my imagination, or does the edit at 3:17 sound sloppy?

Edited by eriejwg on 08 October 2007 at 6:42pm
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 October 2007 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

crapfromthepast wrote:
Was there a short edit on a promo CD single or promo 45?

The promo CD single has the edit and LP versions. I'll try to dig it out, but I remember the mixes are roughly 4:15 and 4:50, as stated here.
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 October 2007 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

No need to dig, Eric - I have the promo CD single (PR 2615-2) right here:

1-Edit (listed 4:19; actual 4:18)
2-LP Version (listed 4:53; actual 4:52)
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 October 2007 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Okay, I didn't enjoy doing this one at all, but here are the instructions for creating the DJ edit from the LP version (oh, the things I do for this forum...)

Keep 0:00.0-3:17.8 of the LP version.
Edit on the upbeat before she starts singing "you are .."; remove the 8 beats from 3:17.8-3:25.5.
Keep 3:25.5-3:39.1 of the LP version.
Edit right where she starts to sing "you you you", and remove the 8 beats from 3:39.1-3:46.8.
Keep 3:46.8-4:02.3 of the LP version.
Edit right where she starts to sing "you you", and remove the 16 beats from 4:02.3-4:17.7.
Keep 4:17.7-4:54.4 (end) of the LP version.

You should be left with the DJ edit, running a total of about 4:23 (with silence at end), and having edits at 3:17.7, 3:31.3 and a really sloppy one at 3:46.8.

My LP version timings were from Atlantic's Year In Review: 1989.

You all owe me big for doing this one. :)
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 October 2007 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

crapfromthepast wrote:
Okay, I didn't enjoy doing this one at all

CFTP, it's okay to admit to liking Bette Midler. We don't judge you here on this Board.

While I'm not a fan of her music, I can admit to creating a DJ edit of "When A Man Loves A Woman" and still be comfortable in my manhood.

Also, I don't know why people can't admit to liking Milli Vanilli. I'll be damned if they didn't have some of the best pop records of the late '80s, even if Rob & Fab didn't do the singing. It's kind of a shame that they stopped pressing their music. If a "hits" compilation ever came out with the correct single versions, I'd buy it.

Edited by aaronk on 09 October 2007 at 10:54pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 October 2007 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote eric_a

aaronk wrote:
Also, I don't know why people can't admit to liking Milli Vanilli. I'll be damned if they didn't have some of the best pop records of the late '80s, even if Rob & Fab didn't do the singing. It's kind of a shame that they stopped pressing their music. If a "hits" compilation ever came out with the correct single versions, I'd buy it.

Do any of you hear Milli Vanilli on the radio at all today? The dance station in Boston played a couple of their songs as late as around 2000. I have a couple of their songs in light rotation, but I'm never sure if listeners appreciate the songs earnestly, as I do, or as camp.
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 October 2007 at 12:06am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I never hear them on the air in Dallas. How do you know if listeners appreciate any of the songs you play on your station? We just can't be in the car with every listener to see if they punch the button when Milli Vanilli comes on. All we can do is use our gut instincts and research as a guide.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 October 2007 at 5:48am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I kinda like the Milli Vanilli hits, and I hear them the same way I heard them when our top 40 station played them back in 1989/90 - well-produced fluff. That's not a bad thing, and I see it as more of a late '80s equivalent of bubblegum pop.

I even like a lot of the Bette Midler stuff. Her early output, like "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy", is terrific, and her first few albums were arranged by Barry Manilow. I even like "The Rose".

But "Wind Beneath My Wings" still gives me hives and makes my teeth hurt. Never before or since was there a song that made me want to gouge my ears out! It's not the song, either, because I've heard great versions by Lou Rawls and Gladys Knight. I think it's the "flyyyyYYYYYYYYY" at the end of the song...

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 October 2007 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Don't forget a 1983 country version by Gary Morris.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 October 2007 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Or the Sheena Easton version, also circa 1983.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 October 2007 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

aaronk wrote:
crapfromthepast wrote:
Okay, I didn't enjoy doing this one at all

CFTP, it's okay to admit to liking Bette Midler. We don't judge you here on this Board.

While I'm not a fan of her music, I can admit to creating a DJ edit of "When A Man Loves A Woman" and still be comfortable in my manhood.

Back when every joke in the world was circulated by E-mail, I remember stumbling on this:

THE LAST 10 THINGS ANY MAN WOULD EVER SAY:

10. I think Barry Manilow is one cool m*********er.

The other nine are off-topic, but you get the idea. And Manilow actually is one cool. . .oh, never mind.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

cmmmbase
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 October 2007 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote cmmmbase

in regards to Milli Vanilli, their 5 singles have only garnered 5750 spins this year total - not that much, really...

Chuck Miller
Mediabase 24/7
Back to Top View cmmmbase's Profile Search for other posts by cmmmbase

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 October 2007 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote torcan

I love Milli Vanilli's songs. To me, it shouldn't matter that they didn't really sign, because if someone bought the record in the first place it was because they liked the songs. The songs were still the same!
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2008 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Back to "Wind Beneath My Wings", the database currently states:

(dj copies of this 45 run (4:18) and (4:54); commercial copies all run (4:54))

Earlier in this thread, Jim reported the DJ CD single run time info as follows:

1-Edit (listed 4:19; actual 4:18)
2-LP Version (listed 4:53; actual 4:52)

And according to abagon, the actual commercial 45 run time is 4:52. The printed record label time is 4:54, which may explain why this is the time reported in the database. I know this is just a small :02 difference, but the 4:52 time is a little more in line with the song's full length CD appearances.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 November 2011 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as atlantic 88972 lists the run
time on the label as 4:54 but actually only runs 4:51 like
all the db entries.....this s/b noted in the db.....

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 March 2013 at 1:27am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I just did the "surgery" on this one tonight; man, those are some awkward edits! I had to do some crossfades that probably weren't exactly what they originally did, but at least it smoothed out the choppy edits somewhat. I didn't have the actual promo 45 to hear what was going on but based on CFTP's detailed step-by-step description, I think I understood the exact edit points, and if I had done them exactly as indicated, all 3 edits would have sounded really bad, which is how I'm guessing the dj 45 sounds. And I agree with erie's comment that the 3:17 is particularly sloppy; I edited mine, instead on the beginning of the keyboard part, right before the "cause you are the wind". At least, it sounds somewhat normal.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

musicmanatl
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 March 2013 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote musicmanatl

Back to Milli Vanilli for a moment... it was interesting to see people defending their music. I love craptastic pop music as much as anyone, but I found their singles to be pretty bland, honestly. I never understood why those singles were such big hits, other than the fact that Clive Davis' money was behind them. There were so many other dance/pop songs from that time that were much more original and catchier, in my opinion. Frank Farian's work with Boney M was much more interesting and melodic, although the lyrics were equally as banal. Anyone who can craft an international smash out of the story of Rasputin deserves some kind of commendation, though. ;)

Frank
Back to Top View musicmanatl's Profile Search for other posts by musicmanatl

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version